Is my cal and mag too high???

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m worried about my parameters. My corals look okay but I don’t notice thriving and growth. Some days they’ll look plump and full and have an extra polyp or two. Then the next day they’ll be shrunken in and small. My alk is stable with a fluctuation of maybe .3 per week so I’m happy with that . But my cal and mag have been insanely high since day one. Can that negatively affect my corals? Cal hovers around 520 and mag around 1460 which I believe to be out the norm and too high. I’m dosing 10mL of AFR and 500mL of Kalk. Should I slow my kalk dose down since it can also affect my Cal levels? I’m just afraid to ruin my Alk stability.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

PS. The random spike in the graph is me recalibrating my trident

IMG_6309.png

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if Ca and Mg are both high, my first suspect would be that overall salinity is too high.
How do you measure salinity? Is it possible it's creeped up a little high?

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if Ca and Mg are both high, my first suspect would be that overall salinity is too high.
How do you measure salinity? Is it possible it's creeped up a little high?
I’m at 1,025 salinity. I measure using a Hanna checker and have recalibrated the checker last week

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I’m worried about my parameters. My corals look okay but I don’t notice thriving and growth. Some days they’ll look plump and full and have an extra polyp or two. Then the next day they’ll be shrunken in and small. My alk is stable with a fluctuation of maybe .3 per week so I’m happy with that . But my cal and mag have been insanely high since day one. Can that negatively affect my corals? Cal hovers around 520 and mag around 1460 which I believe to be out the norm and too high. I’m dosing 10mL of AFR and 500mL of Kalk. Should I slow my kalk dose down since it can also affect my Cal levels? I’m just afraid to ruin my Alk stability.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

PS. The random spike in the graph is me recalibrating my trident

IMG_6309.png
I see you are using numbers via fusion reading. Be sure to manually test to assure no error with a reliable test kit or have LFS do it for you

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recommend 400-550 ppm for calcium, so I would not be concerned at 510 ppm.

Long term, kalk very slowly boosts calcium.
Would unbaked baking soda do the same over time ? 250+ gallon system , no water changes almost 5 years
have noticed using less calcium over last couple yrs ?

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back