Is my new tank actually ready to go?

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my eyes green algea is a clear sign of a cycled tank. But Truthfully, idk what species it is. Nor do I care, just get something eating it BEFORE it takes hold and gets out of control. A water change will soon be warranted
Same, exactly

But his image doesn't show what I am looking for

I want the rocks covered in a beautiful green flowing fur of algae

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have gotten many of the same answers from your other threads asking the same question. Your tank was cycled the moment you added the live rock. You only needed to watch out for an ammonia spike for a few days.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have gotten many of the same answers from your other threads asking the same question. Your tank was cycled the moment you added the live rock. You only needed to watch out for an ammonia spike for a few days.

Not really, alot of contradiction imo

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was actually live sand (not from a bag stating it) and live rock you could probably have added fish right away. It was not bad to wait though. With actually viable lr you really should not have much to worry about, it should have the bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to trate. On my return to the hobby I used lfs live rock and seeded media to start my tank. I waited a week just because. During that week I added 2ppm of ammonia and on day 3 I had nitrate, no ammonia no nitrite. I wonder is the nitrite is a test error? I would get something in the tank to eat the algae sooner than later.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was actually live sand (not from a bag stating it) and live rock you could probably have added fish right away. It was not bad to wait though. With actually viable lr you really should not have much to worry about, it should have the bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to trate. On my return to the hobby I used lfs live rock and seeded media to start my tank. I waited a week just because. During that week I added 2ppm of ammonia and on day 3 I had nitrate, no ammonia no nitrite. I wonder is the nitrite is a test error? I would get something in the tank to eat the algae sooner than later.
Well idk, i’m really worried about the nitrite & green algea, it’s something i don’t have experience with, hence the many posts…

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well idk, i’m really worried about the nitrite & green algea, it’s something i don’t have experience with, hence the many posts…
Nitrite is most likely test error, even if it is not of ZERO concern. The tank is processing ammonia.

Algae is part of the process, as multiple folks have said, start adding a cuc and pick or transfer your fish. If it starts getting out of hand, don't wait until it is an inch, manually remove it, don't jump to a adding bunch of additives, it can set you back depending on what you add. Stay the course, and don't mess with it too much, it will balance out.

You can transfer corals now and that will also aid in bringing over some different bac from your current tank.

Read this about Nitrite in the reef tank.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae comes regardless of the rock used but with lr it already has the "seeds" in it, stuff was eating it in the ocean if it was ocean direct or tank at lfs or in my case there was no light on mine so algae couldnt grow. Once I added light I started to get algae in my case bubble algae I would have preferred gha to be honest. I am not going to go into that battle on your thread. Get some snails or urchin to eat the algae or manually pull it and move on.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is most likely test error, even if it is not of ZERO concern. The tank is processing ammonia.

Algae is part of the process, as multiple folks have said, start adding a cuc and pick or transfer your fish. If it starts getting out of hand, don't wait until it is an inch, manually remove it, don't jump to a adding bunch of additives, it can set you back depending on what you add. Stay the course, and don't mess with it too much, it will balance out.

You can transfer corals now and that will also aid in bringing over some different bac from your current tank.

Read this about Nitrite in the reef tank.

Thanks, once again. i feel more confident now.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, others told me corals consume ammonia & they could have been moved directly?
Corals can and do consume ammonia, BUT, moving corals on day 1 should be only for experienced hobbyists. The fact that you're asking about if the tank is cycled and if you can add fish means you're not ready to add corals on day 1, BUT someday you will be.

I would retest the nitrite, probably a testing error. The green algae in indicative that the tank is processing ammonia through to nitrates.

I would add a fish or two.

Also keep in mind you might test and get ammonia and nitrite reading when fish are in the tank. This is normal! There's a constant process of fish producing ammonia, the bacteria processing it to nitrate and then nitrate. The process is not instant and dependent on how large the bacteria population is.

All that said, put in the fish, add some bottled bacteria if you're concerned about ammonia or nitrite.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can and do consume ammonia, BUT, moving corals on day 1 should be only for experienced hobbyists. The fact that you're asking about if the tank is cycled and if you can add fish means you're not ready to add corals on day 1, BUT someday you will be.

I would retest the nitrite, probably a testing error. The green algae in indicative that the tank is processing ammonia through to nitrates.

I would add a fish or two.

Also keep in mind you might test and get ammonia and nitrite reading when fish are in the tank. This is normal! There's a constant process of fish producing ammonia, the bacteria processing it to nitrate and then nitrate. The process is not instant and dependent on how large the bacteria population is.

All that said, put in the fish, add some bottled bacteria if you're concerned about ammonia or nitrite.
i'm in the hobby since february so not really experienced, this is my 2nd tank (i'm not keeping my old one).

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definately NOT wait until gha takes over the tank before adding cuc. That is the path for a year long ugly stage.
Hyperbole much

If you have ever had a new tank overtaken by crysophates

GHA is absolutely beautiful

And serves a useful purpose

A month ago, the rocks were completely covered in thick furry waves GHA. The little sprig there is most of what's left
1000002926.jpg

I've had the CUC for less than a month

1000002928.jpg

Different strokes, different folks. Not even a month, let alone.a year. That's pure hyperbole

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you get your bacteria built up change your water till you are close to 0s on nitrate and phosphates then stock your tank slowly

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back