View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Indy Gold Torch looks like it is dead or dying

B374B9D0-A7BE-4CF5-8BEA-1D4FA6C81B96.jpeg

This is how it looked a couple months ago
E887CC71-8CBB-4D8D-815F-5DB649E5D8F0.png

I wasn’t giving it Coral food or doing anything different. What should I do?

Parameters:
Temperature: 76.7
PH: 8.2
Salinity:1.024
Alkalinity: 6dkH
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0

D8352724-5308-47D9-AF9E-A98A3D18461C.jpeg

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely very close to death. Need 1-5 nitrates for corals like this. Alkalinity needs to be minimum 8. Raise it slowly by 1 each day. I would lower the flow around it a lot because it’s flesh can rip off at the stage.

OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely very close to death. Need 1-5 nitrates for corals like this. Alkalinity needs to be minimum 8. Raise it slowly by 1 each day. I would lower the flow around it a lot because it’s flesh can rip off at the stage.
How should I raise alkalinity? Do you think I should try buying coral food?

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I raise alkalinity? Do you think I should try buying coral food?
Coral food is good because it can help growth by up to 25% and I like using it as a buffer in case I do make mistakes and the coral won't see as much damage when I have a swing. I also recommend feeding corals that look bad because it can help them recover faster. I brought back near dying corals with AB+ red sea and reef roids. Be careful with alkalinity it kills stuff the most if swings are too hard or its too low. When you change alkalinity make sure calcium rises with it.

Reef0holic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Euphyllia do fine at undetectable nitrates. Alk of 6 is not deadly either. Seawater is close to 7 dKH. If anything, calcification would be a little slower.

How are you testing salinity?
Do you test Ca or Mg?

What specific lighting?

Any livestock that could be picking at the coral?

Danny G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Fusion is what I used to start increasing my alk. Defiantly want to start by half does, test next day and see how it does. Remember small adjustment! Also, I had a torch close up and turned out to be flat worms. See anything slithering around it? I didn’t see these worms until it closed up all the way… the can be much smaller than the one in my picture.

Attachments

• 958630E1-0DCA-4D0B-A4E4-DD48611106F7.png
    958630E1-0DCA-4D0B-A4E4-DD48611106F7.png
    733.1 KB · Views: 53

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Fusion is what I used to start increasing my alk. Defiantly want to start by half does, test next day and see how it does. Remember small adjustment! Also, I had a torch close up and turned out to be flat worms. See anything slithering around it? I didn’t see these worms until it closed up all the way… the can be much smaller than the one in my picture.
Had that problem before haha

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice (scary) picture of flatworms and eggs.

OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Euphyllia do fine at undetectable nitrates. Alk of 6 is not deadly either. Seawater is close to 7 dKH. If anything, calcification would be a little slower.

How are you testing salinity?
Do you test Ca or Mg?

What specific lighting?

Any livestock that could be picking at the coral?
I test salinity with this one.

I haven’t been testing Ca and Mg.

I’m using the Prime 16hd light.

I don’t think the livestock was picking at it, I have two clown fish, 1 Purple Pseudochromis, 1 Springeri Damsel, 1 cleaner shrimp and some hermit crabs.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test salinity with this one.
Okay. If you've calibrated it, then I would raise your salinity to 1.026. That would raise your alk to about 6.5 as well.
I haven’t been testing Ca and Mg.
It would be worth testing Ca. Mg is debatable, unless you aren't doing water changes at all, then I would test that too.
I’m using the Prime 16hd light.
I'm not an LED guy, really. But what settings are you using?
I don’t think the livestock was picking at it, I have two clown fish, 1 Purple Pseudochromis, 1 Springeri Damsel, 1 cleaner shrimp and some hermit crabs.
Shrimp and crabs are possible culprits. It might not be an issue, but keep an eye out.

OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. If you've calibrated it, then I would raise your salinity to 1.026. That would raise your alk to about 6.5 as well.

It would be worth testing Ca. Mg is debatable, unless you aren't doing water changes at all, then I would test that too.

Shrimp and crabs are possible culprits. It might not be an issue, but keep an eye out.

Here is a video of my tank. I forgot to mention that my other two corals seem to be okay.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DOES YOUR REEF HAVE A 'BOSS'? SHOW OFF YOUR REEF BOSS IN THE THREAD!

• Yes, my tank has a fish boss!

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • No, none of my fish stand out in that way.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Yes, and the boss is me!

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back