Is this a favia?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this whole thing about? What is the problem with trying to identify what type of coral you have!
The title of the thread has been modified, favia? had a typo that the mods edited so the joke is over, it was kind of nasty and not appropriate.....

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merulinidae sp., not Favia. Favia, being endemic to the West-Atlantic, aren't found in the hobby. I would guess this is either Favites cf pentagona, Paragoniastrea russelli, or subcerioid Playgyra, but it is too deformed by captivity to tell.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also almost looks like Blastomusa merletti, but also like a chalice, or echinophyllia??? I have no suggestions on photo techniques.
Blastomussa (in the hobby at least) are phaceloid, so it wouldn't be that. Not a chalice/Echinophyllia, the coral is visibly cerioid.

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merulinidae sp., not Favia. Favia, being endemic to the West-Atlantic, aren't found in the hobby. I would guess this is either Favites cf pentagona, Paragoniastrea russelli, or subcerioid Playgyra, but it is too deformed by captivity to tell.
Any tips on what it's care would consist of?

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thanks, today in general has been a sort of off day, physically, emotionally and spiritually. I'm just here taking my mind off things trying to learn a thing or 10
Well hopefully we got a smile out of you. Bad days are the ones that make good days special...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I was at my LFS and wanted something different. I asked what it was called so he looked on his order list and all it says is *favia!*

FB ppl said not sure and some said yeah and others said micromusa?

Can anyone tell me for certainty what it is? I don't see any sweeper tentacles at night and honestly don't even know if it's happy where its sitting. It's in around 90 par where it's sitting. I spot fed reefroids yesterday to the entire tank and it didn't react like my other lps's. Any info about this piece would be great!

Screenshot_20240826_175943_Gallery.jpg 20240823_222631.jpg
Favite coral

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully we got a smile out of you. Bad days are the ones that make good days special...
Yeah, I was so busy laughing I couldn't see what i was supposed to be looking at.
Blastomussa (in the hobby at least) are phaceloid, so it wouldn't be that. Not a chalice/Echinophyllia, the coral is visibly cerioid.
Got spanked lightly by a fellow reefer, but it all ok, I am glad we got to someone who could see this thing clearly and provide a proper identification.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favite coral
Ahh thank you, a quick google search brought this coral up straight away. And to be honest I don't even think I've seen or heard of Favite before so now I'm on a good path thanks to you all. Glad I was able to make others have a great chuckle out of this as well ;)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on what it's care would consist of?
Merulinid moon/honeycomb corals are found in a wide variety of environments--from deeper reef walls to intertidal habitats--so they can be kept under various conditions. The main important thing is stability; if you are going to change your lighting intensity, flow, or parameters, do so slowly to acclimate the coral.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Title fixed and thread cleaned up! Some of your minds are dirtier than a “no water change” tank’s skimmer cup!
Hey! I resemble that remark! Except I'm not running a skimmer on my no water change tank...

Back