Itchin' for new fish - opinions?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank inhabitants are great, but I think my 120G should be able to handle some more. I have:

1 x Pair of Percs that spawn often
1 x Scribbled Rabbitfish
1 x Hippo Tang
1 x Pygmy Yellowtail Angel
1 x Wheeler's Goby
1 x Mandarin Dragonet
2 x Firefish

I'm considering:
1 x Bicolor Blenny
1 x Pyramid Butterflyfish

Any compatibility concerns? Right now the group is very peaceful so I'd hate to stir things up.

Thanks!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your 120 a standard 4x2x2 tank? If so then I would cross the Pyramid off the list (and I'm not sure about the Blue Hippo or Rabbitfish long term). Tangs and Blennies can squabble (competition for foodsource), although the Bicolor would likely be better of than say a lawnmower or starry blenny. As for compatibility concerns, a well established tang and spawning clowns can be jerks to new additions.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, 4x2x2. Pyramid needs more tank length you mean? Thanks for the informative reply. The Hippo and Percs took well to the Rabbitfish when it was added but good point.
Any reef safe suggestions?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, 4x2x2. Pyramid needs more tank length you mean? Thanks for the informative reply. The Hippo and Percs took well to the Rabbitfish when it was added but good point.
Any reef safe suggestions?

Yeah, the Pyramid and the other 2 will need a 6 foot length as they mature. I noticed that your tank is woefully lacking in wrasses and there are plenty that would do well in a 120. Among my Favorites are the Halichoeres Wrasses (ie Melanurus, Christmas (Claudia), Red-Lined, Grey Head), they are safe with Corals but may nibble on snails, hermits and ornamental shrimp. There are also peaceful Fairy and Flasher Wrasses that are about as reef safe as they get. Leopard Wrasses would be a good choice, but they are notoriously poor shippers and it really comes down to picking the right one (ie one that has been active and feeding for 2-3 weeks at your LFS):

https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...15+1378&r=28&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...15+1379&r=28&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the Pyramid and the other 2 will need a 6 foot length as they mature. I noticed that your tank is woefully lacking in wrasses and there are plenty that would do well in a 120. Among my Favorites are the Halichoeres Wrasses (ie Melanurus, Christmas (Claudia), Red-Lined, Grey Head), they are safe with Corals but may nibble on snails, hermits and ornamental shrimp. There are also peaceful Fairy and Flasher Wrasses that are about as reef safe as they get. Leopard Wrasses would be a good choice, but they are notoriously poor shippers and it really comes down to picking the right one (ie one that has been active and feeding for 2-3 weeks at your LFS):

https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...15+1378&r=28&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...15+1379&r=28&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

Thanks! I've had Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse on my list to consider. My only concern is competition for pods impacting the Mandarin. Valid concern?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I've had Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse on my list to consider. My only concern is competition for pods impacting the Mandarin. Valid concern?

If pods are a concern then I would skip the Halichoeres and the Leopard (Leopards feed on pods almost exclusively by nature). A Fairy Wrasse or Flasher will eat pods, but more as a supplement rather than a primary food source (as will just about any other fish). A Fairy Wrasse or Flasher Wrasse would be the best two choices for you.

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well for reference, I have a 90g with a Red Dragonet Goby (smaller version of a Mandarin) and a large Melanurus wrasse which is hunting for pods all day long. Few months in...the dragonet goby seems to be fatter than when I got him from the lfs. I have quite a bit of LR (about 100lbs) in my DT...and another 20lbs in my fuge...so pods are plentiful.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
group of reef safe schooling bannerfish! :D

I've never had a bicolor blenny, but I'd recommend a midas blenny all day. Mine is super cool, cruises the tank a lot, also lays around a bit and looks hilarious sticking half of his body out of a hole he's hiding in.

I also love my lyretail anthias. I guess they're a little more aggressive than some other more peaceful anthias, maybe someone can weigh in on those. I'd love to have a group of those fish, very active and social.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
group of reef safe schooling bannerfish! :D

I've never had a bicolor blenny, but I'd recommend a midas blenny all day. Mine is super cool, cruises the tank a lot, also lays around a bit and looks hilarious sticking half of his body out of a hole he's hiding in.

I also love my lyretail anthias. I guess they're a little more aggressive than some other more peaceful anthias, maybe someone can weigh in on those. I'd love to have a group of those fish, very active and social.

I'd love a trio of anthias but typically I only feed once a day. I'd have to increase that frequency right?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love a trio of anthias but typically I only feed once a day. I'd have to increase that frequency right?

I feed mine several times a day just because people said that was required, I've seen people say they only feed lyretails once a day and they're fine. *shrug*

I think to be safe you'd want to feed at least twice a day, but I don't know. I have a weird work schedule (nights) so it's kind of easy for me to thaw a frozen cube and just sporadically feed it throughout the day. Lyretails are also apparently easier to get on flakes/pellets than some other anthias. I've yet to achieve this, but I'm also not trying super hard to do so. You could always do an auto feeder I suppose if you got them to eat pellets?

Also I forgot to say I have a springeri damsel and it's pretty awesome. Not aggressive at all, pretty. If I had a 120 I'd do a trio of those for sure. I've never had the other Chrysiptera damsels but apparently they're all peaceful..ish, heh. I guess anything damsel is a risk, but it seems if you stick to that group of them they're a lot safer.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an auto feeder that I set up if I'm away for more than a few days. But I also work from home so I COULD manually feed more often....

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an auto feeder that I set up if I'm away for more than a few days. But I also work from home so I COULD manually feed more often....

don't take my word for it as i'm definitely a newbie, but I think anthias would be fine with your current fish. i'd go for it if I were you!

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got lyretails and carberryi anthias that get fed once a day for the last almost three years. Once you get them through QT, I havent seen a problem with feeding once a day at all. Mine eat frozen as well as pellets, so an auto feeder is an option for extended away periods. If it were me, I'd go with three fairies of different species for some real color added to the tank and a trio of lyretails or barletts anthias.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! DD had a trio of anthias listed earlier today - gone already. That's OK, I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger anyway.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been re-reading the great info posted by @evolved and considering a couple of wrasses instead of anthias. Either Carpenter's (Paracheilinus carpenteri) OR McCosker's (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) AND Ruby Longfin Fairy (Cirrhilabrus rubeus). Seems like a safe combo. And still want that Bicolor Blenny. Gotta call the LFS tomorrow, see if they can get any. If not it'll be LiveAquaria.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • My coral

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back