OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I had to say goodbye to my good boy this morning. He collapsed from an unknown tumor rupture and by the time I had him to the emergency vet he was already in shock. Lost consciousness on the exam table and I didn't even have much of a decision to make. I've been prepping for this for months, he's so old, but bloody hell if it don't still feel like a horse kick in the gut. The world wasn't good enough for my good boy. I'll miss him.
PXL_20240406_054601036.jpg

Might be a bit off and on for a few days.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I had to say goodbye to my good boy this morning. He collapsed from an unknown tumor rupture and by the time I had him to the emergency vet he was already in shock. Lost consciousness on the exam table and I didn't even have much of a decision to make. I've been prepping for this for months, he's so old, but bloody hell if it don't still feel like a horse kick in the gut. The world wasn't good enough for my good boy. I'll miss him.

I am so very very sorry.

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh my god, I'm so sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is one of the hardest things.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm so sorry my friend! Losing a longtime friend is gut wrenching! Someone shared this with me years ago when I lost a pet.

c639ca5d3608e30070d1f85db3a1a755.jpg

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh no I'm so very very sorry for your loss. They are such a big part of our lives and it hurts so much to have to say good bye.

Last edited:

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jojo, I am so, so sorry. I just went through the same thing on Monday, where Dixon also had a ruptured tumor and heart failure. I am so, so sorry Jojo. I know how it feels. You are not alone. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. We are here for you.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ahhh, Jo…. Just found out about this right now from our sweet Luis.

Doesn’t matter that you prepared, it’s one of the hardest things to experience. And even though it’s so brutal for us to watch (been there multiple times); it is the best way for them to have us near as they transition to the next part of a soul’s journey. He might have been in shock, but he felt you there and that in itself brought him joy and peace.

I sending my love to you and the family. When things settle down, would love to get together and just laugh and talk Poooop. really not that far SB airport to John Wayne is nothing.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jojo, I am so, so sorry. I just went through the same thing on Monday, where Dixon also had a ruptured tumor and heart failure. I am so, so sorry Jojo. I know how it feels. You are not alone. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. We are here for you.
I know Walker, you were in the same place seems like less than a week ago. I hope you're healing up. I think it will take a while--they were such good friends.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the hugs and condolences. I kind of have to bottle it up for now, got the kids that still don't understand what's happening, their grandparents visiting and the wife on an important business trip--when and how the hell I'm going to tell her... At least here I can let it out a bit and do him the honor of grieving. Hugs back at y'all.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sorry for your loss :downcast-face-with-sweat:

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you don’t mind me posting
Sorry for your loss they are a big part of the family and take comfort that you gave him a good life . Some dogs don’t get a good life so you should celebrate having him in your life for so long.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So sorry for your loss. I knew the clock was ticking with my boy (cancer), but I still was crushed when the day came. We don't deserve them.

I read this on reddit and I always like to pass it on as it really helps me when I lose someone close (including pets)

I wish I could say you get used to people dying. I never did. I don't want to. It tears a hole through me whenever somebody I love dies, no matter the circumstances. But I don't want it to "not matter". I don't want it to be something that just passes. My scars are a testament to the love and the relationship that I had for and with that person. And if the scar is deep, so was the love. So be it. Scars are a testament to life. Scars are a testament that I can love deeply and live deeply and be cut, or even gouged, and that I can heal and continue to live and continue to love. And the scar tissue is stronger than the original flesh ever was. Scars are a testament to life. Scars are only ugly to people who can't see.

As for grief, you'll find it comes in waves. When the ship is first wrecked, you're drowning, with wreckage all around you. Everything floating around you reminds you of the beauty and the magnificence of the ship that was, and is no more. And all you can do is float. You find some piece of the wreckage and you hang on for a while. Maybe it's some physical thing. Maybe it's a happy memory or a photograph. Maybe it's a person who is also floating. For a while, all you can do is float. Stay alive.

In the beginning, the waves are 100 feet tall and crash over you without mercy. They come 10 seconds apart and don't even give you time to catch your breath. All you can do is hang on and float. After a while, maybe weeks, maybe months, you'll find the waves are still 100 feet tall, but they come further apart. When they come, they still crash all over you and wipe you out. But in between, you can breathe, you can function. You never know what's going to trigger the grief. It might be a song, a picture, a street intersection, the smell of a cup of coffee. It can be just about anything...and the wave comes crashing. But in between waves, there is life.

Somewhere down the line, and it's different for everybody, you find that the waves are only 80 feet tall. Or 50 feet tall. And while they still come, they come further apart. You can see them coming. An anniversary, a birthday, or Christmas, or landing at O'Hare. You can see it coming, for the most part, and prepare yourself. And when it washes over you, you know that somehow you will, again, come out the other side. Soaking wet, sputtering, still hanging on to some tiny piece of the wreckage, but you'll come out.

Take it from an old guy. The waves never stop coming, and somehow you don't really want them to. But you learn that you'll survive them. And other waves will come. And you'll survive them too. If you're lucky, you'll have lots of scars from lots of loves. And lots of shipwrecks.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on which caption is my best?
1717613283386.jpeg

1. "Join the Navy, they said. See the reefs, they said. I'd rather be burrowing!"
2. "Yes, I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley."
3. "That doesn't look like work. That looks like you're on that reefing site again!"
4. "Get off my sand bed! These fry with their rock and roll music!"
5. "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"
6. "What do you mean, 'the extended warranty doesn't cover that'!?"
7. Bob was shocked to find that not all of his tankmates shared his tastes for interior design
8. "Hey, let's make a thread out of what I'm thinking!"

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then and Now Series: Pink Birdsnest from @TangerineSpeedo

Feb 24th, 2024
1717700423993.jpeg

June 6th, 2024
1717700100505.jpeg

1717700565575.gif

Excellent grower. Very fragile base, though. Has fallen over a few times, but luckily I can just stick it in a hole in the rocks and it basically stays put.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back