Jumping Maxima Clam

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all!
I have a black and white maxima clam, about 2.5" that I have had for about two months.
1718720294319.png

I started her out in the sand to acclimate in lower light, she stayed there for about a month seemingly happy and opening appropriately.
I took her from the sand (blue circle) and placed her on flat rock shelf (purple circle).

1718720398632.png

She immediately put her foot down and stayed for about two weeks before deciding to move. She jumped into the sand face down, but I found her and put her back.
She jumped into the sand again, this time I built a wall around the outer lip of the ledge with epoxy before putting her back. She worked very hard and finally jumped off again. So now she is back in the sand, and sitting there open and seemingly content.

My question: I feel like she is supposed to get more light than the ~110par in the sand bed. I also feel like she gets kinda dirty in the sand. But I feel like she is telling me that she wants to be in the sand. What should I do?

OP
OP
MattPLaw

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, mine do that but don’t jump off the rock, just tweak the position I placed it at.

Interesting.
I don't know if she is doing it on purpose, I just don't want her to get hurt. And it seems like continuing to put her back every few hours is just going to stress her out.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a clam expert, but am 3 months into my first maxima so I am recently well read. I would say the clam isn't happy in that position of the rockwork and is simply falling off the ledge trying to find a better position. However, that doesn't mean it will be happier on the sand bed, that is just where it ends up after falling.

I think you should try another position with different flow/light conditions.

Mine has been growing well at the top of my rockwork. It sees just under 400 par during the peak time for the lights.
PXL_20240618_145036204.jpg

OP
OP
MattPLaw

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a clam expert, but am 3 months into my first maxima so I am recently well read. I would say the clam isn't happy in that position of the rockwork and is simply falling off the ledge trying to find a better position. However, that doesn't mean it will be happier on the sand bed, that is just where it ends up after falling.

I think you should try another position with different flow/light conditions.

Mine has been growing well at the top of my rockwork. It sees just under 400 par during the peak time for the lights.
PXL_20240618_145036204.jpg
I was thinking this could be the case as well. I have a spot high up, but I am afraid to put it in area where PAR is too high.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid of starving mine so I didn't really acclimate it to the lighting for very long. The spot it is in was probably near 300par when I put it there. I then cranked up the lighting over a two week period.

Edit: That growth band you see is the 3rd scute it has put on since I bought it March 9th of this year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattPLaw

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid of starving mine so I didn't really acclimate it to the lighting for very long. The spot it is in was probably near 300par when I put it there. I then cranked up the lighting over a two week period.
And it was fine being plopped in 300? I was thinking of a place around 300, so that would be good.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Always make sure there's new shell growth on the upper margins of the shell. Also, you don't need months to acclimate a clam to stronger light, you can acclimate them in less than a week or two, but this depends on how long they were in low light, if at all?

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it was fine being plopped in 300? I was thinking of a place around 300, so that would be good.
I'm certainly no expert, but it done well so far.

Edit: That growth band is the 3rd scute it has put on since March 9th when I brought it home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattPLaw

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always make sure there's new shell growth on the upper margins of the shell. Also, you don't need months to acclimate a clam to stronger light, you can acclimate them in less than a week or two, but this depends on how long they were in low light, if at all?
I am not really getting new shell growth.
I will try again to get it in higher light. I have a different spot it may like better.
Thanks!

justdeb1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should always look for that white line of new growth on the clam shell, thats the one and only way to know if its happy or not.
Ohhhhh. I am so glad you said this. I have had a crocea for 3 months, and saw this white line and thought I was "bleaching" it somehow. It worried me, despite the fact that it put its foot down and has seemed happy and very light responsive ever since. Thank you!

OP
OP
MattPLaw

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are studies showing maxima will do very well in 700-1200 par, it will love the highest par level you can give it.
Okay that is what I thought, which I was trying to creep it up to the top, but it sounds like I should go ahead and out it up at the top on its shelf that I had reserved for it.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • My coral

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back