Just a reminder: Budget saltwater tanks don't exist

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I suggest resealing if necessary, and filling up with tap water to leak test before using a tank. I have a 135 gallon I bought used, and it’s been in service now for 5 1/2 years. And for what it’s worth, new tanks can leak too.

WetPringleChip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by budget i meant caring more about money than fish
Yeah, i figured but some peoples budget for a fish tank is 100 and some are 1000. Some want a nano for “cheap” some want a full 75gal+. Ya gotta elaborate bc we can give u prices for new or used set ups but it depends on your price range and what you want.

WetPringleChip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. The statement “can’t be done on a budget” is not really valid without more detail. Everyone has a budget. Polo reef has a budget. Might be millions but it’s a budget. My budget could be 1000 or 10,000

If people give me a realistic budget of 500+ I can get them a system built

People do the same thing with audio systems, car and home. Give me a budget and I’ll build something great
Thats exactly my point too im glad someone else sees it in these posts too. Everybody is saying help me get a budget set up but no one says what their size range is, price range is, maintenance time, set up time, long term, monthly or yearly running costs, etc. just “help me but im not going to give u the full story so 75 ppl can chime in and guess what I need”

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t believe in budget for just about anything. Shoot for the stars. It’s only money it’s not real anyway.

DanATL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tap water is very unsafe for fish and needs to be conditioned just right. also with only an HOB filter you will need to do a lot of manal cleanup. Heater? Light? Lid? Sand? Rock? I don't know about this
I can say from experience that the stone simple approach can work. You need to limit the livestock to easy to care for fish, keep stocking levels in check, and keep up with water changes but it's not rocket science. I had a great 55gal tank with 4 damsels, 1 oscillated clown, 1 royal gramma, 1 yellow tang, and 1 coral beauty angel for two years till I moved to a reef. Ran it on an Eheim canister filter. The only thing in that tank set up that was over and above a freshwater tank was a few bags of Instant Ocean and a hydrometer....and the hydrometer was the plastic one Instant Ocean sells. I never tested for anything; I just did a 20% water change every two weeks. Used the same API Tap Water conditioner in my saltwater tank, freshwater tank, and goldfish pond.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even think about this! this is great that you said this
I don't think anyone is trying to beat you up here. Lots of good points. Something like an aquarium requires a commitment. Like the ham and egg breakfast. The chicken was involved. The pig was committed. Moving residences, job transfers and other lifestyle choices all play into the decision to pursue something that requires a long term horizon. I ride horses and often people fall in love with the idea of having one. I try to talk people out of it as much as possible. Not only do they eat money, they live a long time. Fish are not inanimate. They are living creatures. What's the difference between a fish and a horse? One is more charismatic I suppose. But they really are the same when it comes to commitment.

Last edited:

Urban Reefer Detroit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to buy everything at once. Reefing is a journey. The important thing is to know where you are going. Considering stability is number one an adequately sized tank. 55 or greater is a good start. Once you dive into the bigger tanks that's where it gets expensive. You can't move a big tank without a crew. Upsize your filtration. Double your filter capacity of the tank and you can't go wrong. Stable parameters are most important. Lighting is second. I don't recommend used, since you can not see a reduction in par

20240514_173300.jpg

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say from experience that the stone simple approach can work. You need to limit the livestock to easy to care for fish, keep stocking levels in check, and keep up with water changes but it's not rocket science. I had a great 55gal tank with 4 damsels, 1 oscillated clown, 1 royal gramma, 1 yellow tang, and 1 coral beauty angel for two years till I moved to a reef. Ran it on an Eheim canister filter. The only thing in that tank set up that was over and above a freshwater tank was a few bags of Instant Ocean and a hydrometer....and the hydrometer was the plastic one Instant Ocean sells. I never tested for anything; I just did a 20% water change every two weeks. Used the same API Tap Water conditioner in my saltwater tank, freshwater tank, and goldfish pond.
dang

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone is trying to beat you up here. Lots of good points. Something like an aquarium requires a commitment. Like the ham and egg breakfast. The chicken was involved. The pig was committed. Moving residences, job transfers and other lifestyle choices all play into the decision to pursue something that requires a long term horizon. I ride horses and often people fall in love with the idea of having one. I try to talk people out of it as much as possible. Not only do they eat money, they live a long time. Fish are not inanimate. They are living creatures. What's the difference between a fish and a dog? One is more charismatic I suppose. But they really are the same when it comes to commitment.
Thanks for the reassurance.

Tactical Reefkeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a 13 year old so I do not make the most income some comes from helping neighbors and money off of my reefing YouTube channel so I try to buty tanks used and for me it is just fun you get to restore and clean the old on and it is quarter of the price of a brand new one

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh! This is always a fun topic! IMO what is meant by "budget tank" is relative. This is not a cheap hobby...but neither does it have to be a super expensive hobby (compared to some others). One can save money by buying used equipment and skipping the big name brand equipment (for the most part). Also, there are plenty of beautiful common coral pieces or "no name" coral that can be purchased instead of whatever is trendy at the moment. In this way, a reef tank doesn't have to cost thousands and thousands of dollars. However, I'll balance all of that by saying that if we're going to keep animals in an environment that we create in our home, it should be adequate for them to thrive in.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one can make the hobby either really expensive or cheap depending on what is bought, the brands etc. I usually stick with cheaper coral for example but when it comes to equipment? I would rather buy something that is nice and will last me a while vs something that could fail in a year or 2

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I save money with DIY....BUT...when drilling my dollar a gallon tank i already owned a suitable drill and just needed the hole saw...built my own hood for my used $250 Radion, but already owned the radial arm saw and router table...modified a stand with the welder i already own...already own pvc cutters,saws, glue and primers...dedicated GFI outlet? half a roll of 12/2 romex in the attic and yes I have everything I need to do electrical work...diy Fiji Cube sump kit on dollar a gallon 20 long? the caulking gun for the silicone , assorted clamps, blue masking tape already here...so bottom line it takes a lot of money to save money

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 116 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back