Lagoon gets an upgrade: IM NUVO EXT 100

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense! I just want to have confidence in this thing. Seems like we're on track now.

I did!

The leak definitely came from the main drain fitting. I added a few wraps of tape to the threads and reassembled, being careful not to pinch the o-ring on one side and the gasket on the other. It's possible that with threading the fittings the first time, the gasket formed a bubble or something.

Either way, no more leak! :star-struck:
That great news full steam ahead

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it took me a few emails to realize that! I remember, with a different concern, I had asked in about 4 different emails and they completed evaded my question - I was so confused. I get it now, but I wish we could get a little more reassurance or guidance. Oh well. Perhaps if I had a pressing issue and I called I might be able to get more answers..

Thanks for your response! As the anxiety calms down I can kind of see that I might have been over-worrying. Still fear for the worst, always lol, but it gets better.
I really like the plumbing they did on it with the 3 valves, i’ve been wondering if those are gate valves or ball valves, do you know what kind they are?

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the plumbing they did on it with the 3 valves, i’ve been wondering if those are gate valves or ball valves, do you know what kind they are?

I believe it's a gate valve! No issues controlling with it so far.

The plumbing is pretty slick, and super easy to assemble - perfect for a first timer like me!

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just makes no sense that they would make such a nice system and use gate valves, they are just crap and break all the time, ball valves are far superior, so I guess that will be my first project when I get mine to switch out the gate valves for ball valves

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just makes no sense that they would make such a nice system and use gate valves, they are just crap and break all the time, ball valves are far superior, so I guess that will be my first project when I get mine to switch out the gate valves for ball valves

Yes, I've seen complaints!! You just reminded me to be ready for when the time comes..

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a lot of work!!

To drain the tank, I hooked up my Python to the nearest bathroom sink. After a few minutes of draining, I noticed a pool of water on the floor coming from under the sink. Lol. The drain is somehow completely detached from the sink! We never use that bathroom so we totally missed it.

To keep the party going, I emptied the tank by the ol' siphon and bucket method. It took forever and was a huge pain. We will get that sink fixed SOON.

More exciting news, we have sand, rocks and some saltwater!

20240504_070309.jpg

20240504_070315.jpg

20240504_070321.jpg

20240504_070326.jpg

20240504_163325.jpg

I only used the four 20lb bags of the live sand. It seems to be enough for burrowing wrasses? Which I've never owned before and am very excited to. I have 40lbs of dry sand if I need to top up!

I used nearly all of my 70lbs of dry rock.

I absolutely agonize over my rockwork, I'm always so critical of it and never happy. This is probably because I like to see it full and covered with corals, but that takes time! I went for the classic "rock pile" look. Haha! I don't mind it, as long as I can get some tunnels and caves.

I'm digging the left side of the scape. The right side will need some work and will change when I bring over my rock and corals from the 25g. Photos to come later when the tank is filled and clear!

That's how she looks right now though, partially filled and cloudy. I have a pump and heater in just to keep things moving. I'm just not making water fast enough... about 2.5 gallons per hour. This is increased from the 1 gallon per hour I was getting before my booster pump!

I will have another 20-30 gallons of mixed saltwater ready to go in tonight but that's all the energy I've got!! It should be almost to the overflow by then, and will and will only need to fill up the overflow. I also need to rig up a pump so I'm not manually pouring in water by hand..

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say 80 gallons of total water volume (and that's being generous).

Last edited:

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a lot of work!!

To drain the tank, I hooked up my Python to the nearest bathroom sink. After a few minutes of draining, I noticed a pool of water on the floor coming from under the sink. Lol. The drain is somehow completely detached from the sink! We never use that bathroom so we totally missed it.

To keep the party going, I emptied the tank by the ol' siphon and bucket method. It took forever and was a huge pain. We will get that sink fixed SOON.

More exciting news, we have sand, rocks and some saltwater!

20240504_070309.jpg

20240504_070315.jpg

20240504_070321.jpg

20240504_070326.jpg

20240504_163325.jpg

I only used the four 20lb bags of the live sand. It seems to be enough for burrowing wrasses? Which I've never owned before and am very excited to. I have 40lbs of dry sand if I need to top up!

I used nearly all of my 70lbs of dry rock.

I absolutely agonize over my rockwork, I'm always so critical of it and never happy. This is probably because I like to see it full and covered with corals, but that takes time! I went for the classic "rock pile" look. Haha! I don't mind it, as long as I can get some tunnels and caves.

I'm digging the left side of the scape. The right side will need some work and will change when I bring over my rock and corals from the 25g. Photos to come later when the tank is filled and clear!

That's how she looks right now though, partially filled and cloudy. I have a pump and heater in just to keep things moving. I'm just not making water fast enough... about 2.5 gallons per hour. This is increased from the 1 gallon per hour I was getting before my booster pump!

I will have another 20-30 gallons of mixed saltwater ready to go in tonight but that's all the energy I've got!! It should be almost to the overflow by then, and will and will only need to fill up the overflow. I also need to rig up a pump so I'm not manually pouring in water by hand..

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say 80 gallons of total water volume (and that's being generous).
That was a quick scape
Did you figure out the leaky return pipe?

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a quick scape
Did you figure out the leaky return pipe?

Very quick! It took me probably an hour or two, which felt like forever at the time, but it will definitely be played with.

I had a rock tumble and hit the wall and bottom of the tank. I swear my heart stopped. That glass is some tough because the rock took all the damage. But what a scare.

I think the leak is fixed! So far, so good anyway. I did tape those threads and took extra care when threading to watch the o-ring and the gasket. I really can't be 100% sure if it was the threads or perhaps there was a bubble/gap in the gasket that I missed. Either way, it has been dry since!

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed the RO membrane last night and now I can make about 5 gallons per hour of RODI!

I changed the sediment and carbon filters, added a booster pump (got me up to 2.5 gal/hr from 1 gal/hr) and now the RO membrane.

The DI will probably need to be changed soon but I'll just watch the TDS.

I might be able to finally finish filling the tank and sump now.

My new concern now is that one of the doors squeaks pretty loud! It didn't always, and perhaps it started after the tank was filled for the leak test and some of the weight shifted and it sitting more on that door, the pressure causing the door to rub and squeak. I might add just a drop of oil and see if that stops it.

Still checking the level of the system and checking seams daily! Lol.

In more exciting news.. I have an order coming today from FragBox with a few corals and probably tomorrow will be another order from Candy Corals with Inverts and corals. They'll go in the 25g for now!

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed the RO membrane last night and now I can make about 5 gallons per hour of RODI!

I changed the sediment and carbon filters, added a booster pump (got me up to 2.5 gal/hr from 1 gal/hr) and now the RO membrane.

My new concern now is that one of the doors squeaks pretty loud! It didn't always, and perhaps it started after the tank was filled for the leak test and some of the weight shifted and it sitting more on that door, the pressure causing the door to rub and squeak. I might add just a drop of oil and see if that stops it.

In more exciting news.. I have an order coming today from FragBox with a few corals and probably tomorrow will be another order from Candy Corals with Inverts and corals. They'll go in the 25g for now!
Love this thread
And thank you for sharing

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

how loud is your booster pump? I have one in the box still (lazy to install) but will eventually get there. Probably tomorrow when it starts raining again. 70 degrees and sunny so need to enjoy it before the rain starts again. All my stuff is under the bathroom sink. placing the jugs to fill in the bathtub there are no spillage or accidental forgot about it concerns. Also have an MP40 to install. waiting for the nem guard before it can go in the pool.

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how loud is your booster pump? I have one in the box still (lazy to install) but will eventually get there. Probably tomorrow when it starts raining again. 70 degrees and sunny so need to enjoy it before the rain starts again. All my stuff is under the bathroom sink. placing the jugs to fill in the bathtub there are no spillage or accidental forgot about it concerns. Also have an MP40 to install. waiting for the nem guard before it can go in the pool.

I don't find it loud at all! It was when I first set it up but the tubing was just vibrating off of the DI housing. I went with the Aquatec 8800 and so far, so good.

Agreed on the weather. Enjoy while you can!!

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't find it loud at all! It was when I first set it up but the tubing was just vibrating off of the DI housing. I went with the Aquatec 8800 and so far, so good.

Agreed on the weather. Enjoy while you can!!
glad its not loud. I have that same pump that came in a kit from BRS.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back