Let's talk Peppermint Shrimp

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been combing the the threads about Peppermint Shrimp in general and 90% of what I am reading is that they can easily turn on your corals, and often times do.

I also read that there are several species of peppermint shrimp and some are far less inclined to do so.

To the crux of my thread, what peppermint shrimp are bad, which are good, and are any peppermint shrimp worth the risk?

Asking because they have these at my local Petco for a sweet deal and I could use some CC that targets meaty detritus in the rocks, but not at the risk of my corals.

Sorry best pic I could get. Labeled Lysmata wurdemanni, but who knows?

PXL_20220807_003231888.jpg

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals do you have? My peppermints ate my hammer. I had 3 and only see 1 now but he doesn’t bother my ricordea and other corals as of now.
Dang another horror story. Also do you know what species of shrimp you have?

Currently have:

Cespitularia erecta
Galaxy Mushroom (Rhodactis?)
Mint Green Star Polyp (Briareum sp.)
Teal Candy Cane
Hi-C Orange Ricordea florida Mushroom
Super Orange Ricordea florida
Devil's Armor Zoanthids
Moon Stone Favia
Master Purple People Eater Cyphastrea
Super Orange Discosoma Mushroom
Aussie Teal Duncan

Couple more Shrooms on the way. Also thinking of picking up a Blasto

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang another horror story. Also do you know what species of shrimp you have?

Currently have:

Cespitularia erecta
Galaxy Mushroom (Rhodactis?)
Mint Green Star Polyp (Briareum sp.)
Teal Candy Cane
Hi-C Orange Ricordea florida Mushroom
Super Orange Ricordea florida
Devil's Armor Zoanthids
Moon Stone Favia
Master Purple People Eater Cyphastrea
Super Orange Discosoma Mushroom
Aussie Teal Duncan

Couple more Shrooms on the way. Also thinking of picking up a Blasto
No idea what kind of peppermint. They all look the same to me. I got a blasto Duncan and candy cane as well. Peppermints didn’t bother it. Have a Favia and saw it on the coral once but it seems to be doing good ok as of now

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 Lysmata boggessi (to the best of my knowledge) for a few months now, and they have reliably eaten all aiptasia I had seen/worried about (hence the purchase), and left my corals alone. I have a mix of zoas, duncan, and torches.
Nice to hear a positive experience.

Currently don't have any Aiptasia (like to keep it that way), but I did see a couple free swimming hydroids on my glass recently. Tiny things. Bet Peppermints would deal with them as well.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to hear a positive experience.

Currently don't have any Aiptasia (like to keep it that way), but I did see a couple free swimming hydroids on my glass recently. Tiny things. Bet Peppermints would deal with them as well.
I was pleasantly surprised. I was ready to sump/QT one or both if I had to, but so far no issues. :crossedfingers:

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a little worried about my Orchid Dottyback. I watched it viciously attack my Cortez Hermit the other day when it wandered too close to it's den. No damage to the crab luckily. Looked like it was trying to tear it out of its shell though lol. Not sure a shrimp could stand up to that kind of punishment.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been combing the the threads about Peppermint Shrimp in general and 90% of what I am reading is that they can easily turn on your corals, and often times do.

I also read that there are several species of peppermint shrimp and some are far less inclined to do so.

To the crux of my thread, what peppermint shrimp are bad, which are good, and are any peppermint shrimp worth the risk?

Asking because they have these at my local Petco for a sweet deal and I could use some CC that targets meaty detritus in the rocks, but not at the risk of my corals.

Sorry best pic I could get. Labeled Lysmata wurdemanni, but who knows?

PXL_20220807_003231888.jpg
I've had 2 Lysmata boggessi (to the best of my knowledge) for a few months now, and they have reliably eaten all aiptasia I had seen/worried about (hence the purchase), and left my corals alone. I have a mix of zoas, duncan, and torches.
Based on the patterning and the darkened tail, the pictures shrimp appears to be Lysmata boggessi.
I have a single Lysmata boggessi shrimp which has not touched any of my Aiptasia (maybe I should have given it a partner). In fact, I have only ever seen it consume pellets, flakes, and thawed fish meat (in addition to cleaning my fingers a few times, surprisingly). It is in a macroalgae tank without no corals for it to potentially consume.
1659847954132.png

1659847965180.png

Picture of my shrimp from several months ago:
1659848154899.png

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked. I have a Lysmata boggessi pretty sure. I just call him Beaker from the Muppets. So at night he comes out. I never seen him by my hammer. I have seen him everywhere else but nothing seems picked on. He does try to steal food from the Favia when I try to feed it at night.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the patterning and the darkened tail, the pictures shrimp appears to be Lysmata boggessi.
I have a single Lysmata boggessi shrimp which has not touched any of my Aiptasia (maybe I should have given it a partner). In fact, I have only ever seen it consume pellets, flakes, and thawed fish meat (in addition to cleaning my fingers a few times, surprisingly). It is in a macroalgae tank without no corals for it to potentially consume.
1659847954132.png

1659847965180.png

Picture of my shrimp from several months ago:
1659848154899.png
Amazing input. Thank you.

Out of all of those pics the ones they have at the store definitely look most like sp. boggessi. They are almost completely translucent besides the red stripes and the black tail tip. No white or yellow on them or those crazy zig zag stripes the sp. wurdemanni has, all straight lines.

Starting to lean towards rolling the dice and grabbing one or two. Worse case scenario I have to return it or I get a very fat happy Dottyback lol

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing input. Thank you.

Out of all of those pics the ones they have at the store definitely look most like sp. boggessi. They are almost completely translucent besides the red stripes and the black tail tip. No white or yellow on them or those crazy zig zag stripes the sp. wurdemanni has, all straight lines.

Starting to lean towards rolling the dice and grabbing one or two. Worse case scenario I have to return it or I get a very fat happy Dottyback lol
They completely got rid of my aiptasia overnight but aren’t the easiest to catch. Very doable if you put in the effort though. Multiple ways to do it but i just got too frustrated and just left them in

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Status update:

The experiment failed. Bought 2 Lysmata boggessi on Monday and in less than 48 hours they are both Dottyback food.

One disappeared the first day, second one the 24 hours later. Unless they are hiding someplace even at night they are gone. Dottyback also looks bloated and only picking at feeding time.

$16 snack I guess.

Bummer.

To be more specific, I have an Orchid Dottyback that viciously attacks crustaceans, even my hermits.

He is great at keeping amphipods in line, but it bums me out I can't get a shrimp or two.

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Status update:

The experiment failed. Bought 2 Lysmata boggessi on Monday and in less than 48 hours they are both Dottyback food.

One disappeared the first day, second one the 24 hours later. Unless they are hiding someplace even at night they are gone. Dottyback also looks bloated and only picking at feeding time.

$16 snack I guess.

Bummer.

To be more specific, I have an Orchid Dottyback that viciously attacks crustaceans, even my hermits.

He is great at keeping amphipods in line, but it bums me out I can't get a shrimp or two.
Yea they tend to be snacks for fish. On the bright side they hide in caves in my tank all the time and only come out in the night

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea they tend to be snacks for fish. On the bright side they hide in caves in my tank all the time and only come out in the night
Mine did too. Had to find them with a red light at night. Unfortunately for them my Dottyback lives and sleeps in those same caves as well

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept peppermint shrimp for years and have never had one kill or eat a coral . Now if a coral was already dying I’m sure they might pic at it . Great for removing aiptasia. As far as footy backs all bets are off as far as aggression toward other fish . They can be ***** . I’ve had them go after fish 20 times it’s size if it happened to swim into their area .

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals do you have? My peppermints ate my hammer. I had 3 and only see 1 now but he doesn’t bother my ricordea and other corals as of now.
I love mine! Ate all aptasia and just hang in the corner and wait for me to feed. Very cute! Purchased from RUSALTY, Aquaculturenurseryfarms.com
Very healthy and clean.

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a consensus on which species have the best chances of eating Aiptasia? Thread has been great, info on different species is brilliant and super helpful.

Hoping to get 3/4 once I move my puffer into the QT. Aiptasia are getting out of hand lately! Also, heard the shrimp mostly go for smaller Aiptasia. Should I therefore try and tackle the larger ones directly?

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me there's not more research on these little guys! I'm going to take my chances and get some. I'll send pics and report on their activity once they've had a chance to settle.

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went out and bought one, LFS just scooped it and said they can't be sure what species... neither can I because it is quite small, with not a lot of markings yet! I'll attach pics but they're not very clear...

At the minute my DT only has one fish (blue chromis), several hermits, snails and starfish... among other critters in the sand (Bristleworms etc).

I've not seen him since he went in (probably normal). What's the chances something has ate him? Can large Aiptasia eat small shrimp? What about Bristleworms?

Assuming the worst when he's possibly hiding quite comfortably in my live rock somewhere!

Attachments

• 20230329_181754.jpg
    20230329_181754.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230329_192339.jpg
    20230329_192339.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230329_192347.jpg
    20230329_192347.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 50

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 5.8%
Back