LFS Challenge - Lets see how many of us can commit to shopping first at our LFS

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS Challenge - Lets see how many of us can commit to shopping first at our LFS

Even if they don't stock what you need ask them to order it for you and pay their fair mark up price.

Without our LFS's where are we ?

Lets try our best to support LFS

If you don't have a convenient one, then that's understandable

I have committed to 100 % LFS first !!!

IceNein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about individuals selling frags in your area to clear space in their tanks? I get where you're coming from, but I'm not going to pass on some guy selling frags at prices you could never find at a retail store because it's either sell cheap or throw them in the trash.

On principle I avoid buying without seeing, but I am lucky enough to live in an area where I can go to a bunch of high quality stores within about 2hrs of driving one way.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about individuals selling frags in your area to clear space in their tanks? I get where you're coming from, but I'm not going to pass on some guy selling frags at prices you could never find at a retail store because it's either sell cheap or throw them in the trash.

On principle I avoid buying without seeing, but I am lucky enough to live in an area where I can go to a bunch of high quality stores within about 2hrs of driving one way.
Individuals are different, understood friends and neighbors selling frags. Back in the day they were called frag swaps. No money exchanged, trading only. What a concept, can we get back there ?

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Even if they don't stock what you need ask them to order it for you and pay their fair mark up price.
Ridiculous. What is your LFS doesn’t have fair markup. Mine charges $150 for a plug with 4 small acans. Your choice red or green. 100$ for gsp on a 2-3” rock.

No thanks

smitten with ocean life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always try to buy at my lfs first. if they dont have what i need, theyll order it in for me. however, sometimes i need something quicker than they can get it so ill order it myself. but VERY rarely do they have livestock that i would want. thats when i usually order it from somewhere else

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my LFS wants my money, they should work for it just like everybody else. Carry stuff reefers want. Have clean tanks. Don’t sell sick and disease riddled livestock.

There isn’t a LFS around me that’s worth supporting
Fair, so this is not an option for you. Thanks

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How about supplies, dry goods, other items besides livestock.
Frozen foods, live foods. There are options they may or may not carry.
None of them within 30 min carry what I need for the most part. Why would I want to deal with buying hundreds of gallons of salt which weighs about a hundred pounds? Why would I want to spend more on gear when I get better deals from friends? None of them carry live food either.

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy all livestock and food from my LFS, plus some other random stuff that I don't need often.
For equipment, it's too easy to research and buy online, though (for me).

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a really good lfs about 45 minutes away. They quarantine all livestock, clean tanks. Nice somewhat knowledgeable staff. Have used them for decades between fresh, planted and reef. Price is usually in line and they will special order for me.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs isn’t that L to me. It’s a 30+ minute drive each way. Now that I can no longer drive it’s a big ask to get someone to take me and help me get around and bring me back. Those epoxy floors looked great when I could see and are easy to squeegee clean…. Now I’m a severe fall risk and I know better than to even attempt navigating that hot mess. A slip and fall just waiting to happen and I don’t know how the insurance underwriters even allow it. Here’s where the lfs lost me. I bought everything from them when I moved here (complete tank, components, rock, livestock, etc) it was a decent amount. I continued supporting them as much as I could as my health changed. When it came down to asking for goods delivery they flat out refused. Stating it wasn’t worth the hassle and if you want items delivered, take your business elsewhere. I understand they couldn’t have an employee deliver goods and wasn’t expecting that but using Uber (wether they did it and charged me, or I did it and just had them walk in and pick up) shouldn’t have been an issue, but it sure struck a nerve with them. Now, I wouldn’t have been bothered so much by the refusal, I get it. You don’t want to take cc over the phone and don’t want to be take out. It was the attitude I got for even asking (it was the actual owner not an employee). With that, I’ll never set foot in there again. Customer service is dead (not entirely, but it is rare nowadays). I’ve always supported local businesses but it goes both ways.

Edit..but I do generally agree with the premise of supporting local first..this was just a trigger for me being someone who’s done that their entire life and when the shoe was on the other foot, well

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

BUY OR DIY! WHICH DO YOU PREFER? SHARE YOUR DIY PROJECTS IN THE THREAD!

• I prefer to buy!

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I prefer to DIY!

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • It depends on the project or equipment I need!

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back