Lights to bring out red colors in macroalgae

ryukendoK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a newbie reefer with a 10gal mixed reef running for about 7 months—so the tank is quite new, but thanks to the guiding hand of an experienced reefer friend who’s been helping me I’ve had a smooth start with cured live rock and sand, few pests, and my macroalgae (Pom Pom Gracilaria and dragons breath) and LPS started groeing without a hitch.

The issue is I’ve themed the tank around red algae and red/orange corals, so now I have masses of red algae in the background that look blackish and washed out under the bluish light from a Kessil a80 Tuna Blue. I would like it to look much redder, like in the pics of macroalgae-dominated tanks often seen here. I added a Lominie Asta 20 freshwater light thinking that it would help, but the light is still much too blue.

How do you guys make red or Orange colors stand out in your aquariums, without the white/blue washed out effect? What lights do you use, and do you have suggestions for a light with more red spectrum for a small tank?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a newbie reefer with a 10gal mixed reef running for about 7 months—so the tank is quite new, but thanks to the guiding hand of an experienced reefer friend who’s been helping me I’ve had a smooth start with cured live rock and sand, few pests, and my macroalgae (Pom Pom Gracilaria and dragons breath) and LPS started groeing without a hitch.

The issue is I’ve themed the tank around red algae and red/orange corals, so now I have masses of red algae in the background that look blackish and washed out under the bluish light from a Kessil a80 Tuna Blue. I would like it to look much redder, like in the pics of macroalgae-dominated tanks often seen here. I added a Lominie Asta 20 freshwater light thinking that it would help, but the light is still much too blue.

How do you guys make red or Orange colors stand out in your aquariums, without the white/blue washed out effect? What lights do you use, and do you have suggestions for a light with more red spectrum for a small tank?
In the freshwater world " we" just add red and orange photons..
;)

Anyways for your themed tank your tilt to a more shallow reef light is the way to go.

Now with certain lights and certain channels a reef or fw led will work fine.

Now " this" Lonnie asta 20 should have worked fine
Specification
Power Draw: 15-18W

LED Number: 16pcs

Color Bands: 5, RGBW+UV

CRI: >90Ra

Color Temperature: 6500K~8000K

Oddly they only recommend it for 5gal or less tank..
And only 4 odd-ish channels but enough to switch " color". Now maintaining adequate power for your goal is ???

" Your" issue is getting a color tunable one with enough excess power to allow certain colors to be tuned down.
Technically that is easy enough..except at a cost.
There seems to be a gap between say 10-15w then going to 50w or more.
A 15w not name brand might be $35 while a 50w is $200.
And an exponential increase in price
Ideally you'd probably want like 30.

So like a 30w RGB only freshwater centric led light should work well for you.
And if it's like under $100..
Not seeing such a unicorn atm ..

What are your tank dimensions?
Changing from a puck style to bar style " may" be a better option.

To give you an idea of what I meant .
This 90 watt ( severely overpowered but dimmable)
is $157..
It can be as red or blue as you want it to be .
Or neutral for that matter.
RGB lights generally at 100% start out cool

Not going to vouch for the software or how it functions..ATM.
Or comment on why one has to select the lights voltage.... Soo odd.

Last edited:
Back