Long Tentacle Anemone struggling?

toga434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks - I kept freshwater cichlids for years, but then switched operations to saltwater 2 years ago.

I'm new to the anemone game. I have a 29G with 2 ocellaris clownfish, been running stable with no issues for about 2 years. Parameters don't vary much with the clowns thriving.

This week, I've added a Long Tentacle Anemone. After 2-3 days, I'm concerned. The LTA goes through phases of massive shrinking. Clowns are picking at the shriveled LTA. The LTA seems to do better with the circulation pump running and white light on during the day, but she goes through periods of massive shrinkage.

For this thread, I'm asking for your expertise / advise on how to proceed.

Day 2.jpg Day 3.jpg

billy lawrence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks - I kept freshwater cichlids for years, but then switched operations to saltwater 2 years ago.

I'm new to the anemone game. I have a 29G with 2 ocellaris clownfish, been running stable with no issues for about 2 years. Parameters don't vary much with the clowns thriving.

This week, I've added a Long Tentacle Anemone. After 2-3 days, I'm concerned. The LTA goes through phases of massive shrinking. Clowns are picking at the shriveled LTA. The LTA seems to do better with the circulation pump running and white light on during the day, but she goes through periods of massive shrinkage.

For this thread, I'm asking for your expertise / advise on how to proceed.

Day 2.jpg Day 3.jpg

timmyrules

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it….anemones are weird. I don’t have any long tentacle nems, but the anemones I do have go through weird phases where they stay shriveled for a few hours then return to being nice and fluffy…and then do that the next few days, then after those days, they remain fully opened for like a month.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth and foot both look healthy to be, it doesn't look damaged or dying in anyway just leave it be for now. @OrionN is the resident nem expert and could provide more insight

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a BTA, not LTA.
I think it looks OK. Low flow and relatively low flow is what it need. It will attach to the side of the rock in a crevice to protect it’s foot and reach out for light.

Back