Looking for opinions/ideas for a 65 gallon tanks.

NC AL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start, I have a Waterbox 65 AIO bare-bottom tank. I currently have two clowns and a six line wrasse. They are the three amigos and get along great together. My tank is a new set-up but has about 40 pounds of live rock from my old established tank. Eventually I want to add more coral, but need more fish. Now to my questions.

I want to add a tang (but not for a few months) for algae control purposes. What tangs would serve that purpose well but be ok in my 65g tank?

I feel I need at least five and therefore one more. Looking for suggestions here. I have always liked coral beauties, but read they can nip at coral. Any recommendations would be greatly appreated.

IMG_0422.jpeg

Last edited:

Extremeengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 75g with a coral beauty, lyretail anthias, black ice clown and tomini tang. Oh and a fire shrimp. I have not yet added corals, but everyone gets along great. The lyretail is a pig, the tomini is smaller than the coral beauty or anthias, but he doesn't take any attitude from them. I did a lot of research and there are few tangs that are good for our size tank. I love the darker coloration the tomini develop as they get older, and with mine being 1 1/2" long, it will be a while before that happens. I'm hoping my coral beauty is one who doesn't eat corals, we'll see soon!

Extremeengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. Fingers crossed with you coral beauty.
Yes, not 100%, nor scientific, but it seemed like a lot of the coral beauty issues I read were either not enough food or an outlier fish. I feed at least twice a day, so I am hoping I don't have an outlier lol. If so then I guess I'll just swap for the blue girdled angel I really would like... obviously kidding in a 75, but I do really like those Tenecor 150 lagoons...:thinking-face:

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 75g with a coral beauty, lyretail anthias, black ice clown and tomini tang. Oh and a fire shrimp. I have not yet added corals, but everyone gets along great. The lyretail is a pig, the tomini is smaller than the coral beauty or anthias, but he doesn't take any attitude from them. I did a lot of research and there are few tangs that are good for our size tank. I love the darker coloration the tomini develop as they get older, and with mine being 1 1/2" long, it will be a while before that happens. I'm hoping my coral beauty is one who doesn't eat corals, we'll see soon!

when you say the lyretail is a pig, meaning what ? does it eat anything and everything or graze algae all day? pests? my understanding is they are carnivores and would want meaty food not pellet?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, with dimensions pretty much the same as a standard 75 gallon, I would pick one of the tangs in the Ctenochaetus genus that's not a chevron (I don't think you can get them since the Hawaii thing anyway) or striped. Tomini is easy to find. White tail is a showstopper. Truncated is a really pretty one that's underutilized.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back