Low PH & High Alkalinity: looking for suggestions to balance

TG17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 13.5 gallon reef tank that has been up and running for 18 months before me purchasing and moving it 5 weeks ago.

I keep all the rock, sand, and equipment, and about 50% of the water from before the move.

My PH is constantly low 7.2 - 7.5.
DHK has been rising and is now 12.

mostly soft corals, 3 fish (2 clowns and a tailspot blenny), a few crabs and a few snails.

Using Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt (since the move). Been doing weekly water changes 3 gallons a week.

I've tried opening windows, adding a fan, turning way up my wavemaker so I feel like I have tried a lot to increase gas exchange, but have yet been able to get the PH to 7.8. I'm also concerned with the high DKH.

Mushrooms, Torch, Green Star Polyps, gorgonian look great, Zoa's seem shrunken/contracted, but they are open.

I'm looking for suggestions to help get the PH up and get the DKH down. I'd like to try and get the water chemistry right to the point that the Zoa's are happier, more open and growing.

smiley2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO water for mixing salt?

Pls recheck with your LFS for these water parameters if u want to verify your test kits are not faulty

OP
OP
T

TG17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO water for mixing salt?

Pls recheck with your LFS for these water parameters if u want to verify your test kits are not faulty
Thank you for the input yes using RO water and I’ve tested with the LFS. And they’ve confirmed what I’m testing. Using Hanna pH pen and Hanna alkalinity checker.

I have tested the RO water before and after salt pH is low 7677 is high 9 to 10

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input yes using RO water and I’ve tested with the LFS. And they’ve confirmed what I’m testing. Using Hanna pH pen and Hanna alkalinity checker.

I have tested the RO water before and after salt pH is low 7677 is high 9 to 10

You cannot measure the pH of RO water. It has no buffering capability and can read anything at all.

How did you calibrate the pH pen?

My experience with the Hanna pens is that they are not very reliable unless you have bought the top of the line models.

OP
OP
T

TG17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. In regards to testing my RO water, I tested the PH after adding my Tropic Marin Salt mix, hopefully that makes sense.

For the PH Pen, I had the same concern, I use a PHEP+ pen, I have also been testing with another manual reagent kit and I seem to be getting the same results as the pen, so even if not perfect I think it is quite close. My thinking is if I consistently use the pen, it could be off a little bit, but using the consistent tech will allow me to have a pretty good sense of where it is.

Does that help?

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 62 54.4%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back