Macoalgae tank with aiptasia outbreak

Liel_Uziahu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there iv got a a 1000gal macoalgae reef, with some seahorses.
Im suffering with a major aiptasia outbreak, on the glass, rocks and even on some of the algae themselves.
I want to treat the tank as a whole, hopefully without losing all the macro algae.
I can remove the sea horses to a separate tank.
I dont want to use copper so one day i will ba able to add some soft corals.
Any suggestions how to tackle this aiptasia problem?

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there iv got a a 1000gal macoalgae reef, with some seahorses.
Im suffering with a major aiptasia outbreak, on the glass, rocks and even on some of the algae themselves.
I want to treat the tank as a whole, hopefully without losing all the macro algae.
I can remove the sea horses to a separate tank.
I dont want to use copper so one day i will ba able to add some soft corals.
Any suggestions how to tackle this aiptasia problem?
Are Berghia available where you are? That is a big tank, you could breed up an army of them, and they would do a good job of combing through the macro algae without destroying it (but it would take several months). You might not even need to remove the seahorses, depending on whether they think Berghia are tasty (I would guess not). What are the other tank mates?

OP
OP
Liel_Uziahu

Liel_Uziahu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No berghia available, and cant wait month for a cleanup.
Im breeding sea horses, so there no other tank mates, maybe some clean up crew like sea cucumber, starfish, and hermits.
I can remove all of them.
The point is that i need a fast solution, since i need this thank to host younglings seahorses soon.

Are Berghia available where you are? That is a big tank, you could breed up an army of them, and they would do a good job of combing through the macro algae without destroying it (but it would take several months). You might not even need to remove the seahorses, depending on whether they think Berghia are tasty (I would guess not). What are the other tank mates?

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia will survive >1 day in tap water (no salt). Not sure about the limits on low pH. The problem with Aiptasia is they regenerate so easily, it is not enough to mostly kill it-if even a few clusters of cells survive, they just grow back.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back