Maxima clams

praba775

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, do you think it is fine to keep a maxima clam in a 2 feet tank. My water paramwters are stable and I do have phytoplankton. Should I get one?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, do you think it is fine to keep a maxima clam in a 2 feet tank. My water paramwters are stable and I do have phytoplankton. Should I get one?
The tank size doesnt really matter. Phyto is good but the clam doesnt need or really use much. What the clam needs is good water chemistry, consistent parameters, and a lot of light. Maxima clams grow to about 12-14" but its not very fast. They will start to consume large amounts of calcium and alk as they grow make sure you keep up on dosing. Again a good quality strong light source of 300+ par is needed.

OP
OP
P

praba775

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank size doesnt really matter. Phyto is good but the clam doesnt need or really use much. What the clam needs is good water chemistry, consistent parameters, and a lot of light. Maxima clams grow to about 12-14" but its not very fast. They will start to consume large amounts of calcium and alk as they grow make sure you keep up on dosing. Again a good quality strong light source of 300+ par is needed.
Hi, my par is maximum of 150 if I am not mistaken

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are an amazing addition to a reef. And can be very hardy animals if taken care of properly
I would suggest getting a larger clam 3” or above, the mortality rate is just so much higher in smaller clams.
I would be worried about low par in your case, 150 max is pretty low but I feel clams would be able to survive might have a really slow growth rate. With that I’m not too worried about size it takes maximas a long time to reach 12” especially at lower par levels
I might consider a derasa they should be more tolerant of lower par, however, they do not like a hard rock substrate they prefer to be sitting on sand or lose gravel. And I’m assuming your peak par wasn’t on the bottom of your tank.
given a good few years a derasa will out grow this tank. They can reach +24”

OP
OP
P

praba775

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are an amazing addition to a reef. And can be very hardy animals if taken care of properly
I would suggest getting a larger clam 3” or above, the mortality rate is just so much higher in smaller clams.
I would be worried about low par in your case, 150 max is pretty low but I feel clams would be able to survive might have a really slow growth rate. With that I’m not too worried about size it takes maximas a long time to reach 12” especially at lower par levels
I might consider a derasa they should be more tolerant of lower par, however, they do not like a hard rock substrate they prefer to be sitting on sand or lose gravel. And I’m assuming your peak par wasn’t on the bottom of your tank.
given a good few years a derasa will out grow this tank. They can reach +24”
Hi, I dont have a PAR meter. My LFS say the light I use only reaches a little over 150PAR. And I saw the Maxima clam online so I think I must do more communication with the seller on the size of the clam.

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I dont have a PAR meter. My LFS say the light I use only reaches a little over 150PAR. And I saw the Maxima clam online so I think I must do more communication with the seller on the size of the clam.
What light are you using? Also might be worth renting a par meter it’s definitely something worth knowing in the long run.
Yeah getting a larger clam is definitely a good idea, it’s just so much more likely to survive than the tiny ones people sell now.
Best of luck! If you do end up getting one you should definitely post pictures! Top down under whites for best clam photos!

OP
OP
P

praba775

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. When I asked my LFS about the maxima clam, they said it can be in my tank but it will get too big. They asked me to get a crocea clam.

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here selling crocea clam for reasonable price? I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
What is the light you are using? If anything, croceas need even more light than Maximas. Consider the shallow depths they are found. 150 PAR is likely just going to result in the slow starvation of your clam. Will look fine one day and then gaping and half torn from it's shell next day, empty by the following, and you'll be wondering what happened to your clam that was doing so well.

Someone asked previously what light you are using. Do tell.

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crocea clams are one of the highest light demanding clams. They also tend to be more finicky and can be a bit harder to keep.
They do stay small and have a slower growth rate so because of that they are often sold at a very small size.
If you are shopping for clams I like biota, ORA, and clam mania.

Vteclover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry screenshot picture from video.
Ik have mine in december for 4 years.
210 par(when the extra T5 is on)
Lightning is old hydra 52 with 2x80w T5
Clam is right under the led fixture.
Make sure you get a healthy one that reacts fast on shadow
I dont use phyto
A6FBCFBC-E430-43AB-8827-A2EDABF45E3F.png

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A TANK EMERGENCY? SHARE YOUR STORY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 59 65.6%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Other (pleas explain).

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back