Mix n Matching Wrasse - Yellow, Flasher, and Small ones

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looking to get som wrasse for one of my tanks and curious about compatibility and suggestions based on what I am looking for:

1) Yellow Wrasse - such as the Yellow "Coris" Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) or Yellow and Purple Wrasse (Halichoeres leucoxanthus) - any suggestions or are they pretty much the same but one has a silver belly? Going for a peaceful tank so.

2) Flasher Wrasse - thinking either a McCosker's (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) or a Carpenters (Paracheilinus carpenteri) - are they essentially the same fish except minor pattern differences?

3) Small Wrasse - lastly was looking at either a Pink Streak (Pseudocheilinops ataenia) or a Yellow Banded Possum (Wetmorella nigropinnata) - could I get both of these guys or just one of them suggested?

Right now other tank mates in the 50gal mixed reef are
2 Pajama Cardinals, Yellow Watchman/Pistol Pair, Rainfords Goby, Midas Blenny, Firefish, and a Mandarin.

Any thoughts on these? Can I get one from each "group"? Can I get both of the small wrasse? Any insight is appreciated!

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get som wrasse for one of my tanks and curious about compatibility and suggestions based on what I am looking for:

1) Yellow Wrasse - such as the Yellow "Coris" Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) or Yellow and Purple Wrasse (Halichoeres leucoxanthus) - any suggestions or are they pretty much the same but one has a silver belly? Going for a peaceful tank so. They have very similar reputations. I have the chrysus and it is peaceful in a tank with pink streaks, a leopard, a firefish, a yasha goby and a tailspot blenny.

2) Flasher Wrasse - thinking either a McCosker's (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) or a Carpenters (Paracheilinus carpenteri) - are they essentially the same fish except minor pattern differences? Also similar reputation, but @i cant think may have a better idea of the difference in flashers.

3) Small Wrasse - lastly was looking at either a Pink Streak (Pseudocheilinops ataenia) or a Yellow Banded Possum (Wetmorella nigropinnata) - could I get both of these guys or just one of them suggested? I like having pinkies in a pair. But as long as there is no aggression in the tank, a pink streak will be happy and active. Possums have the same reputation, although there are anecdotes of more assertive possums...

Right now other tank mates in the 50gal mixed reef are
2 Pajama Cardinals, Yellow Watchman/Pistol Pair, Rainfords Goby, Midas Blenny, Firefish, and a Mandarin. I see no problems with these fish as long as the midas blenny is nice.

Any thoughts on these? Can I get one from each "group"? Can I get both of the small wrasse? Any insight is appreciated!
What is the tank size? Some comments above in RED.

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great size. All should be fine. Similar to my 35"x15"x12". Have a chrysus, a blue star leopard, 2x pink streaks, tailspot blenny, yasha goby and ab exquisite firefish. I also had a dusky fairy wrasse that unfortunately jumped through the screen, but it was also fine in the tank (similar to the flasher, I suppose).

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great size. All should be fine. Similar to my 35"x15"x12". Have a chrysus, a blue star leopard, 2x pink streaks, tailspot blenny, yasha goby and ab exquisite firefish. I also had a dusky fairy wrasse that unfortunately jumped through the screen, but it was also fine in the tank (similar to the flasher, I suppose).
Alright nice to hear, ty!

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 37 38.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back