Multicolor or Venustus angel?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which do you prefer and why? Anyone here have a first hand experience on one or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of multicolored angelfish until the little one died due to a mini tank crash. They are pretty easy going and haven't bothered any of my zoas. Id probably go with a pair of Venustus or Multibar angels for my next tank. I love the paracentropyge species.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Multicolors are easier/ better success rate I had one in a previous tank

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I don't plan on taking any fish home unless they are eating voraciously at the LFS, so in that way the eating part is not the biggest issue. Did you guys find them to be really shy even after being acclimated or they are just any other angels swimming actively after acclimation to their new environment? I'm looking for an active fish that will compliment my bigger fishes. My biggest fishes are a Yellow Tang (4") and Majestic angel (3 1/2"). I've not read anything about those two giving either the Venustus or Multicolor any trouble. The underside of my rocks are covered in sponges so I think this will help too. How do you determine sex as I'm open to getting a pair too?

BTW, my tank is a clownfish/BTA tank so nipping is not an issue. ;)

Thanks again for the input. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a multi-color. It was easy to keep . A well behaved citizen, proly cuz I kept it well fed .
I traded it back to the LFS where it was purchased .
If I were to get another, I wouldn't mind the Venustus .It has always been on my wish list .

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a multi-color. It was easy to keep . A well behaved citizen, proly cuz I kept it well fed .
I traded it back to the LFS where it was purchased .
If I were to get another, I wouldn't mind the Venustus .It has always been on my wish list .
man, everyone wants to try out a Venustus. ;)

seems like the Multicolor is pretty easy once you get past the acclimation period. so no worries on the Multicolor just hanging out on one spot? the thing about the Venustus is it's pretty similar in colors with the Majestic. :confused:

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received your PM, will answer it in a bit (( feeling a bit under the weather )), I currently have both, in different tanks.

The Venustus is a bit more shy, and tends (( IMO/E )) to do better without any other dwarfs, and lesser aggressive fish.
My multicolored is with a coral beauty and flame, and it is 3rd in line, but it isn't a wimp.

How aggressive if your Majestic?
My multicolored is always swimming around, in and out of the Xenia forest.

Once I moved my Venustus to an dwarf angel free tank its growth really took off, and is out a lot more.

In my round about way of saying it (( sure took a long time getting to it )), I think that a multicolored would do better in your tank.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a venustus, wife bought it for my B-day a few years ago.......... beautiful fish, it swam around decent in my 180 and ate fine... Still didn't make it, found it belly up in its one hiding spot, pulled it and found what appeared to be an infected "pinned" spot. It never showed any problem, nor did I notice the pin spot before finding it dead so who knows, but they are a deeper water fish and it was pinned.

I have always wanted to try a multicolor, and/or multibar harem, but have since decided to be angel free unless I do a fish only.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received your PM, will answer it in a bit (( feeling a bit under the weather )), I currently have both, in different tanks.

The Venustus is a bit more shy, and tends (( IMO/E )) to do better without any other dwarfs, and lesser aggressive fish.
My multicolored is with a coral beauty and flame, and it is 3rd in line, but it isn't a wimp.

How aggressive if your Majestic?
My multicolored is always swimming around, in and out of the Xenia forest.

Once I moved my Venustus to an dwarf angel free tank its growth really took off, and is out a lot more.

In my round about way of saying it (( sure took a long time getting to it )), I think that a multicolored would do better in your tank.
Thank you for your input. I've been reading a lot of your posts lately. seems like you're one of the only ones that have kept a Venustus for a long time (over 2 years). I don't have any other dwarfs in the tank. the Majestic seems to be pretty chill. the Yellow Tang keeps him in check for now, but who knows it may switch as the Majestic grows more.

I had a venustus, wife bought it for my B-day a few years ago.......... beautiful fish, it swam around decent in my 180 and ate fine... Still didn't make it, found it belly up in its one hiding spot, pulled it and found what appeared to be an infected "pinned" spot. It never showed any problem, nor did I notice the pin spot before finding it dead so who knows, but they are a deeper water fish and it was pinned.

I have always wanted to try a multicolor, and/or multibar harem, but have since decided to be angel free unless I do a fish only.
so sorry to hear about the loss. that's the thing though, only if more care can go to collecting these fish, there's more chances of more people enjoying these deep waters. but I know that it's easy to say that on this side. they have to make a living and provide food on the table.

Is venustus reef safe??
most if not everyone will say no angel is absolutely "reef safe". :wink:

el richie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 venustus, paid two, the third one was free because the first one had some fin rot and bumps along its mouth (didn't make it through qt)
The other two did make it through qt but had a crash and lost everything but a potters wrasse and black leopard wrasse.
If I could find another one I would definitely go for the venustus. Far better looking than the multicolor. Also if open to suggestions maybe a multibarred or golden angelfish

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"reef safe" is such a broad generalization. I have a declivus butterfly and Goldflake angel in my reef with all acropora, yet if I added frogspawn it would likely be consumed.

I had a majestic angel that ate all my acans but left everything else alone several years ago.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one common theme with my 6 dwarfs -- they LOVE to eat fleshy LPS. Heck, back when I had a golden dwarf the only thing it would eat was fleshy LPS, and whatever was on the rocks.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a tiny Multi-color awhile back. It went into the tank, dove into the rocks and dissappeared into the rock. It was a cute lil fish just under an inch. About 10 days later it showed up swimming in and out of the rock, and all the white had turned gray. Its now the ugliest multi-color. Its grown to be about a 3" fish now. Is moderately well behaved, does a little picking at corals.

Scott Fellman of Unique corals is in love with the Multi-color, but thats because he is convinced its a Nahakyi (sp?). I think its just an ugly multi.

The Venustus went into the mix a couple of months back, and the two angels don't have any issues with each other.

I just saw a trio of multi-bars for sale on Tues and was tempted. But the tiny one was really skinny, and the two larger ones weren't acting right. But I think I would like to add one in the near future.

Dave B

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of a hi-jack

Dave, I notice a similar color change with my multicolor shortly after I picked it up.
After a couple of weeks it was looking like this (( which is only the beginning of it getting "ugly" ))
From 2 years ago

Multicolored1-1.jpg

About 6 months later I bought a new place and moved. I switched from a 56 to a 65 but the lights stayed the same.
Due to the new place having a new A/C unit (( and being better insulated )) the tank's temps stayed about 4* cooler.
In addition, the move allowed me to do a massive water change.

A year ago the same fish looked like this;

multi1.jpg

It is now a bit "uglier" now --- the temps have stayed the same. However, due to a trip to the Olympics, and back surgery #6 I have really slacked off on the water changes.
Need to get an updated picture to show how it looks now.
I am going to do my best (( if my back allows )) to get back to weekly 5 gallon water changes and see what happens.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trex,

I just landed in Vegas, so I can't post photos. But the entire body of mine is Charcoal Grey. No white, no blue just dark grey. The head has bright blue patterning but the fish is ugly.

Dave B
saw a pic of him Dave. I kinda like the colors. ;)

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have found a MultiColor that's been QT for over 2 months and eating mysis and pellets. I just don't wanna pay for shipping. LoL. over $100 shipped alright for a 3" MultiColor?

c.declivisowner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Venustus Angelfish and it is my second fav fish behind my Africanus Angel. When I got the Venustus it wouldn't eat for like a week but finally after trying just about everything it started eating. I think personally if you want a more unique fish go with the Venustus.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHEN YOU FIRST STARTED REEFING, WAS EASIER OR HARDER THAN YOU EXPECTED?

• It was easier than expected!

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • It was harder than expected.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • It was exactly what I expected.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back