OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow Texan. You like DNA?
I do like DNA. I work with John and he has been more than fair. I have him let me know when he is acquiring local tanks for like new equipment of even fish. And Mike will set up my Apex. He is the best. I have purchased a number of fish from DNA, including my three Banana Morays.

I have found a great resource for more specialty fish at School of Fish in DeSoto, TX. The owner is named Lee. Have you heard of them? Lee is also the best!

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really excited to see this build, its nice thats its not just a normal build with the pillars and tank shape
Thanks for following. It's going to be unique for sure. Hopefully I am not over my head on the customization. :) I'm traveling this week and hoping by next week to have all my fixtures so I can start plumbing. We are almost done the aquascape. We are building in sections so we can remove the pieces and keep the weight down. Currently each section weights up to 80lbs. We will have eight main sections. We have completed six and have two to go.

We have also finished the hollow columns that will lay on the sand for the eels and may build a few more small structures that will also lay on the sand. Lastly we want to take some of our small left over Marco rock to use as rubble. We have a Dragon Wrasse and may add a Formosa Wrasse and want them to have plenty to keep them busy.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaiian Dragon Eel on hold!

Okay, I know supposed to be working on the plumbing but I was at School of Fish in DeSoto, TX this past weekend and they had just taken in a male Hawaiian Dragon Eel that had to be re-homed. He grew up in a tank and is very docile. He has reportedly not eaten any of his tank mates. A plus for sure! LOL

Others were inquiring about buying him so I had to act fast. He will remain at the store until I am ready for him. He's not much over 2' long but very big around. My hollow columns are about 26" long so he should fit perfectly.

I wish I had taken a better picture but here he is. Can't wait to welcome him into the new tank!

Dragon Eel.jpg

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like DNA. I work with John and he has been more than fair. I have him let me know when he is acquiring local tanks for like new equipment of even fish. And Mike will set up my Apex. He is the best. I have purchased a number of fish from DNA, including my three Banana Morays.

I have found a great resource for more specialty fish at School of Fish in DeSoto, TX. The owner is named Lee. Have you heard of them? Lee is also the best!
Yes I prefer Lee at SOF. He sold me my gem. Dna is ok but not my primary, close to bottom of my list. I don’t know if it’s because they are the premier place and have to be a rebel or because that credit card room doesn’t excite me as I have it all plus more.
I do grab frozen from them though.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I prefer Lee at SOF. He sold me my gem. Dna is ok but not my primary, close to bottom of my list. I don’t know if it’s because they are the premier place and have to be a rebel or because that credit card room doesn’t excite me as I have it all plus more.
I do grab frozen from them though.
Naturally DNA is more of a retail outlet. And yes they are the premier outlet. But they have helped me in a jam more than once, found some specialty and re-homed fish, and yes are convenient. I like to build relationship with those I work with and I always think that helps.

But I also don’t think people go into DNA to buy $1k fish like they do FS.

I wish Lee was closer (over an hour for me) as he has been helping me on my fish list and helping condition the fish. Naturally that is also something DNA works not be in a position to do.

and while I haven’t purchased much from Fish Gallery, I have to say I love their new store. Have you seen it?

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naturally DNA is more of a retail outlet. And yes they are the premier outlet. But they have helped me in a jam more than once, found some specialty and re-homed fish, and yes are convenient. I like to build relationship with those I work with and I always think that helps.

I wish Lee was closer (over an hour for me) as he has been helping me on my fish list and helping condition the fish. Naturally that is also something DNA works not be in a position to do.

and while I haven’t purchased much from Fish Gallery, I have to say I love their new store. Have you seen it?
Yes I bought my first tank from fish gallery. My 2nd tank was a upgrade and dna did it.
I’m in Rowlett, Lee is a trek but I just like his process for fish. I have also used little big fish store.

i believe DNA can take care of most people but some maybe not. When they set up my tank the salt was 1.019. It was a stocked mixed reef. This is my issue with them.

on fish gallery, check the writing on the tanks. This is how long the fish has been with them. Unless 4 weeks won’t buy from them.

you prefer fish more than coral I believe, that’s probably why we differ on our preferred preferences haha. I love corals specifically euphyllia. Only have fish for their benefit.

one these days would love to see those string rays. When I upgrade it will be to add rays. Cant in my 300 but that’s the one livestock I want and will force the upgrade.

actually building a site for euphyllia directly, trying to find some photographers in dfw marine on fb for it.

I forget the name but Oklahoma has a fish shop that does the same as Lee and has a good ability to locate most fish. Ime his pricing was even with liveaquaria for the full QT process.

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaiian Dragon Eel on hold!

Okay, I know supposed to be working on the plumbing but I was at School of Fish in DeSoto, TX this past weekend and they had just taken in a male Hawaiian Dragon Eel that had to be re-homed. He grew up in a tank and is very docile. He has reportedly not eaten any of his tank mates. A plus for sure! LOL

Others were inquiring about buying him so I had to act fast. He will remain at the store until I am ready for him. He's not much over 2' long but very big around. My hollow columns are about 26" long so he should fit perfectly.

I wish I had taken a better picture but here he is. Can't wait to welcome him into the new tank!

Dragon Eel.jpg
Have you seen that massive eel they have next to the yellow shoal tank? That thing is a monster of the highest caliber. Ask Lee about the day it fell out of the tank and they had to move it back into the tank.

when Lee gets more chevrons, will go back. He had a whitetail not for sale but that thing was probably top 5 tangs I’ve ever seen in beauty, size, and coloration.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I known DNA for over 20 years now. They are great for used equipment, frozen food and dry goods as they have a very large selection. Their fish room is better than most places. Like most places, their credit card room is limited as most online vendors have a lot larger selection. However, I did score a pyramid butterfly for $80. The fish is eating like a champ in my quarantine.

My friends lives at SOF. From what I was told, Lee will go out of his way to make sure the fish you get is conditioned. Lee held an achilles for several months. Lee went as far as adding individual tangs together to see if they get along so that my friend was confident adding them to his tank. That is unheard of for any LFS I have dealt with.
I heard they have a 5" conspic angel right now.

Fish Gallery is a shell of what they used to be. Before the move, most of their tanks were all about saltwater. Now its down to two rows of damsels. Also, I called up on the phone and one of their associates told me a fish has been there for several months and is deeply discounted. I called back a week later and asked if they will honor that price and they said yes. I arrived 2 hours later and was told they could not honor the price. They gave me a discount, but still frustrating.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got caught up! This is truly a unique and amazing aquarium! All the hard work you put into the columns and the walls will look great.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen that massive eel they have next to the yellow shoal tank? That thing is a monster of the highest caliber. Ask Lee about the day it fell out of the tank and they had to move it back into the tank.

when Lee gets more chevrons, will go back. He had a whitetail not for sale but that thing was probably top 5 tangs I’ve ever seen in beauty, size, and coloration.
Yeah that Eel is insane. He's told me a few stories about it. Lee is unique for sure. And he will be conditioning my fish for my new tank. Some are too big for my QT. I tried to buy the large Dussumier Tang he has but he is reluctant to sell. I can't blame him. Its like a store pet! I keep telling him he doesn't have to "sell" it to me, he can just keep it I my tank. :)

I had a Chevron on hold and just let it go on Monday. So he has that one if you want it!

Steve

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I known DNA for over 20 years now. They are great for used equipment, frozen food and dry goods as they have a very large selection. Their fish room is better than most places. Like most places, their credit card room is limited as most online vendors have a lot larger selection. However, I did score a pyramid butterfly for $80. The fish is eating like a champ in my quarantine.

My friends lives at SOF. From what I was told, Lee will go out of his way to make sure the fish you get is conditioned. Lee held an achilles for several months. Lee went as far as adding individual tangs together to see if they get along so that my friend was confident adding them to his tank. That is unheard of for any LFS I have dealt with.
I heard they have a 5" conspic angel right now.

Fish Gallery is a shell of what they used to be. Before the move, most of their tanks were all about saltwater. Now its down to two rows of damsels. Also, I called up on the phone and one of their associates told me a fish has been there for several months and is deeply discounted. I called back a week later and asked if they will honor that price and they said yes. I arrived 2 hours later and was told they could not honor the price. They gave me a discount, but still frustrating.
I saw the Conspic Angel. Absolutely stunning. My friend bought it. It was out of my price range. I put a few fish on hold and yeah Lee is going way above and beyond to help me.

I haven't been back in the aquarium hobby for very long. The best part about my last visit to Fish Gallery is that they told me about Lee! I haven't purchased any fish from them. But I bought a stuffed turtle and it is my granddaughter's favorite toy! So two positive experiences. LOL

Sorry they didn't honor your deal. Actually when I had them price a tank for me they said they would discount all the components. Then they didn't. I told them out of principle that was an issue for me. When I asked them about my 800g build, they said it was too big for them.

I own my own business and try to serve my clients above and beyond. I've messed up a time or two and fortunately my clients have been gracious. I think everyone deserves a few chances to get it right. :cool:

However, in this business you have to really find the right people to work with and it can make the difference between an enjoyable experience and a stressful one. Especially for a newbie like me.

John at DNA has been really great to work with. But I also purchase quite a bit. Lee is the bomb when it comes to my fish wish list and Derek at Miracles is the best. I'm glad I have those three to work with.

Steve

Mechanic907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK ARRIVED!

Tank arrived this morning. It was very well packed and the tank was well secured to the stand so that made it easy. We had to carefully maneuver the forks in the stand to pick it up. My son was on the fork lift we borrowed and he had never driven one before so that added to the stress. Although he is a natural!

I was a bit freaked out taking it off the truck and through our warehouse. Others were just video taping on their phones and I was wondering whether they were impressed or just waiting for a calamity so they could post on social media!

But everything went off without a hitch! Miracles made it easy and I can't recommend them enough. If you want a monster tank call Derek!

The tank is huge and tall. Its going to be quite impressive when filled. Its amazing to look at my large fish in the temp tanks and realize how small they are going to look in this tank!

Which begs the question... When will I fill it?

There is lots of plumbing to do. I have to make my list of PVC and valves and such and pick my colors. Have to finish the aquascape. Have to purchase the pumps, UV sterilizer, and some other equipment. Honestly I'll be happy to have my first fish in the tank in 90 days. Don't want to rush any of the plumbing and such. And I have to drill the sumps in a number of locations. Lots of work still ahead.

I think I started this journey last November. So it will be over a year long project.

Here are a few images of unpacking and with the tank in place!

tank1.jpg
tank2.jpg
tank3.jpg
tank4.jpg
stunning tank

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Started the plumbing today. Work gets crazy this time of year and we’ve had some issues with our temporary tanks so hard to find lots of time to work on it.

today I started working on the two return pumps and the pump feeding the skimmer. There is really less room than I thought under the stand. And in a bit nervous about everything fitting neatly as I want to leave the pumps and plumbing exposed.

the attached images shows two of the pumps I worked on today. I still need to drill the stumps for 6 bulkheads I will need to feed the pumps and skimmer returns.

Some of the piping is glued and some just leaning in place as I measure everything out.

E0CE99CF-2041-4642-9933-A27B957E88AC.jpeg
E7274882-1EF0-4FDC-B5AD-49530F77C981.jpeg

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been hard finding time to work on the plumbing. But even if it is an hour here and there I am committed to getting it done! The challenge is I find myself working too past and making mistakes and having to order a new fitting! I probably should come up with a better system of dry fitting and then marking everything and double checking. Yesterday I glued the wrong end of a fitting and now have to order another one. I think BRS must love me by now!

However I think I am officially over the 50% mark!. And while the plumbing coming out of the bottom of the tank will be a little harder to deal with, I have lots more room to work with. All the plumbing for the skimmer (pulling from two sumps) got very tight.

I am also starting to seed some media to jump start the new tank. I am using over 10 gallons of Pond Matrix in the sumps and using another 2 gallons to build a de-nitrate bed with low flow. I also plan on running a refugium with Ulva in one of the sumps.

I am hoping to fit the bulkheads in the tank this week for the closed system. I am still working on the 4 tower overflows, so may be another two weeks or so before I am ready install those. With all of theses fittings I am wondering the odds of having a leak. Don't want to be negative but I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. :)

Once I have all the bulkheads in the tank (I have 10) I will be able to add some water and check the closed system. Then I will add some water to the sumps and check the skimmer and the returns before filling the whole tank. Hopefully in early/mid December.

Here's a couple pics of the half way point. I actually have a lot less room to work with than I thought I would. I love the diamond shape and glad everything is fitting, but it is VERY tight. Of course that monster SRO8000 skimmer doesn't help. :cool:

tank plumbing 3.jpeg
tank plumbing 4.jpeg
tank plumbing 5.jpeg
tank plumbing1.jpeg

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't make a lot of progress today but I did put two of the "tower" overflows into the tank! The idea was to make them blend into the aquascape. We had two of them done and I put them in today. In the second set of images you will see most of our aquascape laid out on the floor and the other two overflows before we add sand and rock. It looks busy in the pictures (and it is a bit crowded) but I wanted to have plenty places for the fish to swim and hide. When you consider the tank could have up to 30 fish (predators), that's a lot of need for hiding & safe spaces!

image5.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back