My Subzero Frostbite and DaVinci Clownfish FINALLY did the dirty! I'm a proud daddy!

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea and Reef have the best looking DaVinci clowns in my opinion. Is she an extreme? Do you have more pics of the pair?

I didn't get them as a bonded pair, the female was from a previous mated pair that I purchased- so she's a proven female. I believe she's Sea and Reef Grade B mochavinici. The male is a juvi purchased from a fellow breeder of SA lineage. The 2 months was from the date I put them together. They literally bonded instantly and within 2 months they started breeding.

I absolutely agree that they have the best DaVinci clowns. Yes she is an extreme. I just love how the bands morph together in the extremes. They're just so unique! This is the only picture I have of them on my phone right now. This is after I had them for 2 months in my new 29 gallon.

a0fa539ee5db303945ae5ee88b85d7f8.jpg

I've owned many of single clowns in my smaller set ups, but this is my first attempt and forming a pair. I bought them both as juveniles. She (DaVinci) was 1.25" and he (black ice) was 1". Over the first 2 months they seemed to establish dominance, but I wouldn't call them "bonded" quite yet. Is this something to expect as they age?

I'd love to learn the process of breeding clowns. I know there are plenty of great resources out there but nothing like seeing it happen first hand. How long have you been breeding clowns?

OP
OP
mosquared

mosquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely agree that they have the best DaVinci clowns. Yes she is an extreme. I just love how the bands morph together in the extremes. They're just so unique! This is the only picture I have of them on my phone right now. This is after I had them for 2 months in my new 29 gallon.

a0fa539ee5db303945ae5ee88b85d7f8.jpg

I've owned many of single clowns in my smaller set ups, but this is my first attempt and forming a pair. I bought them both as juveniles. She (DaVinci) was 1.25" and he (black ice) was 1". Over the first 2 months they seemed to establish dominance, but I wouldn't call them "bonded" quite yet. Is this something to expect as they age?

I'd love to learn the process of breeding clowns. I know there are plenty of great resources out there but nothing like seeing it happen first hand. How long have you been breeding clowns?

Oh cool, I love that both sides of him contrast each other. They are gonna be an awesome pair. Also, sometimes bonding can be really easy. After 2 months if they aren't killing each other then I think you're pretty set :) I've only had issues with one one clown who has been tough to pair.

I've only started in the past couple months. Around February or so. I had a friend whose snowflakes had laid eggs and she offered me a couple clutches. And since then I've been set on getting my own breeding pairs. I have a few pairs of clowns as I wanted to up my chances at getting a mated pair. I also couldn't make up my mind on just 2 clowns lol. I had another friend that offered me a clutch of her picasso clowns and they have been doing really great. Just about over a month old and their patterns are starting to come in! Females take almost 2 years to mature tho so thats why I chose to try and find proven females.

Rearing of the clownfish fry takes some time to get the hang of. I have previous experience raising seahorse fry so clownfish are actually a breeze. However, I know many people who feel over whelmed when they start out with clownfish. The process is simple actually, and "easy" even with a full time job.

OP
OP
mosquared

mosquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the babies! Only 15 from the first clutch made it. Usually the 1-3rd clutch don't do well so I'm not too worried. Second clutch hatched two nights ago and seem to be doing better than the first. In the video, you can see mostly WW (can't call them frostbite just yet until the spots show up) one or two black ice, and a davinci (can't make him out in the video sadly). Exciting none the less!

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I don't think you were supposed to make that video...that's a private moment and this is a family friendly site;)

Congratulations - that's really awesome. My two clowns have been bonded for over a year, but I have never seen them lay eggs. They must be hiding them well.

OP
OP
mosquared

mosquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I don't think you were supposed to make that video...that's a private moment and this is a family friendly site;)

Congratulations - that's really awesome. My two clowns have been bonded for over a year, but I have never seen them lay eggs. They must be hiding them well.

Haha! :p Thank you!! I really took time and patience ... feeding them a lot and often seemed to help. Do you mean your pair lays, but you just don't see them do it? Or that they haven't laid yet?

OP
OP
mosquared

mosquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the children? ;) What are they looking like these days?

Sorry, have been really busy with work. The littles ones are getting bigger, but with work I didn't get a chance to feed them as much as I should have. One of my WW developed a dirty tail! Pretty awesome I think!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

SPS SHOWDOWN! ACROPORA OR MONTIPORA? SHOW OFF YOUR SPS IN THE THREAD!

• Acros!

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Montis!

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • I'm too torn!

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back