Mystery frag bulldozer?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something in my tank has been on a nightly rampage against frags in my rock work. Primarily localized in a specific area. The frags were well glued with epoxy and still getting flipped over. The one this morning I noticed the bottom of the frag plug was covered in little black shiny spheres. Too big to be bugs, definitely immobile, I’m assuming eggs from something.

Any idea the likely culprit from this list?

Hermit crabs
Trochus snails
Astrea snails
Pinchision urchin
Fighting Conch
Cleaner shrimp

None of my fish are nocturnal so not listing them.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bet would be on the trochus. Mine jam themselves between the frag and rock and break of the frags

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something in my tank has been on a nightly rampage against frags in my rock work. Primarily localized in a specific area. The frags were well glued with epoxy and still getting flipped over. The one this morning I noticed the bottom of the frag plug was covered in little black shiny spheres. Too big to be bugs, definitely immobile, I’m assuming eggs from something.

Hermit crabs
Trochus snails
Astrea snails
Pinchision urchin
Fighting Conch
Cleaner shrimp

Urchins are notorious for knocking everything over. In my case, I had a mystery deconstruction worker that always targeted my trumpet coral that was glued on a shelf low in the tank. I finally decided to wake up one night and see who was causing the commotion. Lo and behold, when I went down at midnight and turn the room lights on, there was my Halloween Hermit perched on that spot, and it had already moved the frag, again. He eventually won the battle. I moved the frag to a different spot and never had an issue since.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hermit crabs
Trochus snails
Astrea snails
Pinchision urchin
Fighting Conch
Cleaner shrimp

My money is on the urchin or the conch depending on how big it is

Back