Need an opinion on my algae dilemma.

heyhans1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking to get an opinion on what I should do to correct my hair algae situation. My tank is 3 months old contains 1 clown 1 purple fire fish and 1 links goby. For cuc I have 4 Trochus snails 1 nassarius snail and 1 fighting conch. My levels are as follows.
Alk. 8.4
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 430
Magnesium 1500
Temp. 79
Salinity 1.026
I have 8 pieces of coral both soft and lps which seem to be doing well however I believe the nuisance algae is stripping the tank of nitrate and phosphate. I don’t have a refugium just a skimmer. Should I turn off the skimmer for awhile until levels rise or dose ab+ ? I target feed the coral once a week with reef roids. Or should I up the cuc?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking to get an opinion on what I should do to correct my hair algae situation. My tank is 3 months old contains 1 clown 1 purple fire fish and 1 links goby. For cuc I have 4 Trochus snails 1 nassarius snail and 1 fighting conch. My levels are as follows.
Alk. 8.4
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 430
Magnesium 1500
Temp. 79
Salinity 1.026
I have 8 pieces of coral both soft and lps which seem to be doing well however I believe the nuisance algae is stripping the tank of nitrate and phosphate. I don’t have a refugium just a skimmer. Should I turn off the skimmer for awhile until levels rise or dose ab+ ? I target feed the coral once a week with reef roids. Or should I up the cuc?
Up the cuc, pull manually a couple times a week.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk. 8.4
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 430
Magnesium 1500
Temp. 79
Salinity 1.026
Zero nitrate and/or phosphate allows the pest type stuff to develop faster, than the good guys.

Bump nitrate to 5-10pm and phosphate to .1-.2ppm so that the good stuff can feed and outpace, and outcompete that hair algae stuff.

Some snails, redirect them often to affected areas.

Water chemistry must remain rock solid.

Add some PODS and a daily dash of phyto.

It will leave on its own.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.4%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 98 43.8%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 56 25.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.8%
Back