Need some help

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two leathers and one has not opened in two weeks, it has also gotten smaller by 50%. I have noticed it has two ridges one on the left and one on the left they are about 180 degrees from one another and the stem also has some indention's in it along the same path as the ridges on the top of it.

the second leather is doing just find and is attached on the same rock, is this thing beginning to split, do leathers toadstools split?

Attachments

• Leather.jpg
    Leather.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 157

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes they close up to shed their outer layer and in some cases they close up due to stress. i have seem close up for weeks at a time. you might want to just wait it out as it may just be shedding its outer layer.

HAudioSolutions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Check your params and run some carbon. If it doesn't look to be falling apart, you're probably okay. Could be chem warfare from another leather or lighting. (Has lighting chaged for the coral in some way?) Either way I'd leave it alone for a while and just keep an eye on it.
Leathers sometimes do this.

OP
OP
mike_dani

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replys the params are as follows:
temp 80.3
ph 8.0
no2 0
no3 8
nh3 0
kh 9
salinity 1025.00
ca 420

the params have stayed fairly constant since I started the tank 8 weeks ago, the lighting has not changed but will shortly. I have 4 54w T-5's and will be changing to 2 14000k MH single ended with two T-5's Actinic with the other two one will be a Fiji pink and a full spectrumm.

I have been fighting a LFS ICH with Metro MS no longer dosing as my Hipo Tang, Sailfin, Tang and Blue Caribbean Tang are dead now. I dont belive Carbon will hurt anyhting but what does it help as I have never even had an Ammonia spike or Nitrites that I have noticed, I have a 110 tall with 150 pounds of live rock 80 pounds of live sand and a Beliner Wet dry filter.

I have been using the Beliner as a sump with 30 or so pounds of chrushed live rock a skimmer and polishing filter socks, I have been thinking about getting rid of the Beliner and just making a true Sump out of a glass tank.

I think this should be a good combo but will soon find out once my new canopy is built.

Fish List:
1 Yellow Tang 4-5 inches
1 Hippo Tang (Dead)
1 Blue Caribbean Tang (Dead)
1 Sailfin Tang (Dead)
3 fire fish
1 Midas blenny
2 clowns
1 cleaner shrimp
1 fire shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
12 snails
12 hermit crabs

Corals:
Zoas 3 frags 20 heads each
Leather two heads
Florida Rics one
Frogspawn (2) 1 with 5 heads another with six heads
purple Gorgonia 6 inches
Goniapora (sp) Large
Green star polips 3 inches
feather dusters (2)
Polys 20 or so
Maxims Clam
Dendro 5 heads
Duncan 2 heads
and a Torch that my tang just ate........

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess its just the coral shedding like said above. If the rest of your corals look good, I would not worry about it

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back