Need Urgent Help

EdinburghReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m beyond confused,
I set up my new Red Sea 300XL G2, and whenever I add a clownfish it dies within a few hours. Keep in mind these fish have came from another tank a few feet away. Used live biocubes from old tank, live sand, rock and DrTims etc. Tank is cycled, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate all fine. Salt is 35, temperature is 77.5, PH is 7.9, ORB 220. Tried to check for stray voltage, that’s not the issue. Running carbon and purigen as I thought there might be some kind of toxin. Fish are drip accumulated for 30-45 minutes. After being in the tank for around half an hour, you can notice there fins start to deteriorate.

OP
OP
EdinburghReef

EdinburghReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s honestly wanting to make me quit the hobby. After 3 clownfish dying due to be added to the tank, also the fact it costing over £7000.

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are the fish all from the same place? If your tank is cycled and your parameters are all fine (everything calibrated and testing properly) then it sounds weird you’re having keeping clownfish which are normally very hardy

OP
OP
EdinburghReef

EdinburghReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the fish all from the same place? If your tank is cycled and your parameters are all fine (everything calibrated and testing properly) then it sounds weird you’re having keeping clownfish which are normally very hardy
Yes most of them are from TMC, all parameters have been crossed checked with Hannah, Salifert and also trident helped. I keep clownfish, so shouldn’t have a problem with clownfish lol.

OP
OP
EdinburghReef

EdinburghReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just waiting to move the rest of the fish over, but obviously I’m not going to add other fish if clownfish are dying.

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes most of them are from TMC, all parameters have been crossed checked with Hannah, Salifert and also trident helped. I keep clownfish, so shouldn’t have a problem with clownfish lol.
I’d try getting fish from somewhere and giving that a try. If they’ve all been dying from the same place… that might be the issue

OP
OP
EdinburghReef

EdinburghReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try getting fish from somewhere and giving that a try. If they’ve all been dying from the same place… that might be the issue
No, all of these fish have been alive in my other tank for over a year. It’s not like I buy them from my LFS and chuck them in the new tank. It’s just super frustrating I have no idea what’s wrong.

SpyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have photos, you might want to try the fish disease and medic forum. it could be a bacterial infection causing the quick wipeout of your fish. How much time is between the death of one fish and adding the next one?

OP
OP
EdinburghReef

EdinburghReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have photos, you might want to try the fish disease and medic forum. it could be a bacterial infection causing the quick wipeout of your fish. How much time is between the death of one fish and adding the next one?
I wait over a week before adding another one. I’ve had the photos checked already of bodies, but can post anyway.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmpf. ICP. That's all I can think of either.

LOL, I was just thinking This Dude is up as early as I am! its 0330 here. Then I paid attention. 1130 in your neck of the woods!

@vetteguy53081 --- What do you think?

OP
OP
EdinburghReef

EdinburghReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to think pathogens, diseases etc… but I don’t know. They’ve all been in that tank for over a year super healthy and happy.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to think pathogens, diseases etc… but I don’t know. They’ve all been in that tank for over a year super healthy and happy.
I don't think this is disease. A couple of hours is just too fast. And you've already performed a dechallange/rechallange with the same result. It's gotta be something else.

Polymate3D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whilst I cannot advise on what is causing them to die so quickly, you could possibly place them in a isolation box in the tank and observe for the 1st hour or so. That way if you see any sign of problems you can get them out easier.

Any random things like sprays used in the house, or used putty to bond rocks?
Was the PH of 7.9 in the morning or at night?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 34 44.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • No.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back