new 120g setup

voodoomagic5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all! new to the forum!

i'm thinking about getting back into the hobby. i used to have a FO tank that i gave up because i got married/bought house/had kids. i always wanted a reef tank. thinking about starting up again in my 120g tank. i want to keep some SPS and tangs/crabs/clams. i'm thinking live rock/live sand/skimmer. not sure what else, equipment wise, would i need? also, is there any water flow chart that i can look at so i can try to figure out the plumbing necessary.

so much to research and learn! i love it! :bigsmile:

thanks for any info!

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 and love it, I would get the biggest sump you can, I have a 40g under mine.

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for SPS your focus should be on flow and lighting!

You're in a great situation. If you get all of the "regular" equipment tank, sump, pump, skimmer, powerheads, lighting, etc...many of us are happy to help you get it set up in a manner that will best help your odds for success.

Of paramount importance is patience. Most new tanks will be "moody" as they stabilize and equillibrate for 6-12 months. As long as you are patient, ride it out, keep up with routine maintenance, and do your homework, you should be able to put together a Kick-*** reef!

Good luck!

amay121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no exact method for flow, just nice random flow would be great for most corals. A lot of folks are using vortechs now.

Last edited:

tekken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or, if you could get additional holes drilled, do a closed loop system with ocean motions 4 way for alternating current. or getting something like a seaswirl.

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
In my experience, keeping SPS thriving and healthy relies on stability. I would highly recommend automating as much as possible. Auto top off, a calcium reactor, and even a controller are good investments that keep things consistent and stable.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back