OP
J A' mhuir

J A' mhuir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
07/30/24

Moved around the rocks today! I have an idea to add another rock structure but that will take time, providing more places for my Helfrichi to hide. And of course real estate for corals.

The mushroom coral is doing well, it’s tentacles are fully extended…
That’s it for now

IMG_5871.jpeg

OP
OP
J A' mhuir

J A' mhuir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy August, starting month three of the tank start up.

Today I did a thing….

I purchased Calcium and Magnesium testing kits by Red Sea. I am gonna start testing tomorrow.

Because, I purchased two LPS corals from A Reef Creation.

One head of frogspawn, lovely little guy.
A yellow green Favia, which will add a nice pop of color.

I of course dipped them and followed my normal procedure.

I will begin feeding reef-roids. For the corals. Once to twice per week.

Finally, today I built the rock structure out of smashed rock, unused or removed for reasons. Pictures below…. Ima try and hide the putty joints, or let the tank hide them over time… I want to add this after removing the water for the water change….

Among the myriad of benefits for the tank, it will, of course provide more real estate for coral placement.

I am excited to see it all come together finally….

Then I must stop purchasing corals and see if I can not kill the ones I have now lol….

IMG_5896.jpeg
IMG_5892.jpeg
IMG_5891.jpeg

OP
OP
J A' mhuir

J A' mhuir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back again!! 08/03/24

Water changed 2 gallons….

I removed the “rock tree” and removed the GSP, attached it to the back wall.

Then I added my new structure. And rearranged the rocks… I like it…

My mushroom detached from its rock and I found it in two places over the last few hours…. I don’t know what to do….

I placed my frogspawn and temporarily placed the toadstool.

Will see how they do…. Trying to leave this now to mature and stop changing….
IMG_5902.jpeg
IMG_5901.jpeg

OP
OP
J A' mhuir

J A' mhuir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, August 12, 2024

I still get confused with what this brown algae actually is. It’s really covering everything. I’m not sure if I need to be worried or not.

Last weekend, August 10, I did a 16% water change. Which went very well.

Yesterday I tested the tank:
Temp: 78°
Alkalinity: 7.89 DKH
Phosphate: 0.07
Nitrate: 0.0 (I’ve been getting consistent, crystal clear nitrate test by Salifert. I’m beginning to think it’s a false negative.)

For calcium and magnesium, I’m just beginning to test for them, probably doing it wrong. I get kind of confused on how to read them. I’m using the magnesium and calcium test kits
Calcium: 480
Magnesium: 1560

Both of which are somewhat high.

I’m not exactly sure where all this LG is coming from or why. And do I need to do anything about it?

The TDS meter reads zero to one on the RO water. I feed maybe a fifth of a cube once a day. Sometimes I throw in some pellets.

Images below of algae outbreak

IMG_5974.jpeg
IMG_5973.jpeg

The GSP has tripled size since I got it I think a little over a month ago.

Finally, growing, the sixth had on the Zoa. it’s doing much better and it’s new placement closer to the bottom of the tank.

I’m considering renting or purchasing a par meter. Which will be indispensable.

The frog spawn bases still brown, but it seems to be doing OK otherwise…. The Fish are doing really well.

The helfrichi has stayed in the display tank ever since I got the guards for the weirs. The only about the guards is that they restrict the flow slightly so I’m getting a film on the top of the tank.

OP
OP
J A' mhuir

J A' mhuir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
08/18/24 entry for my build thread

What a day!!

The tank still has those Dino’s, parameters are stable…. Nitrates I can’t get up to save my life… Phosphate today was 0.06 and Nitrates zero.

I am putting off my water change for a little while. Until I can try to get these nitrates up.

Today I will be introducing a skunk cleaner shrimp, and six more Astria snails.

Friday, August 16, I purchased a torch coral from a guy off Facebook. it has three heads, it’s purple and under full blue lights it has golden streaks.

Since I didn’t have change, he gave me a couple frags. Not sure what types they are. They look like Zoas but they have stems and are much larger. Very pretty.

The GSP has been a little iffy over the past couple days.

The hammer coral opened up today bigger than it ever has.

The fish are doing great.

Pictures below

IMG_6036.jpeg
IMG_6032.jpeg
IMG_6031.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6034.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
J A' mhuir

J A' mhuir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
08/20/24
Today just wanting to post pictures of the tank, and inhabitants!! Everything seems to be doing ok… Dinos are receding for now… Will see what else comes my way…. Always a great learning experience….

IMG_6060.jpeg
IMG_6059.jpeg
IMG_6058.jpeg
IMG_6057.jpeg
IMG_6056.jpeg
IMG_6051.jpeg
IMG_6052.jpeg
IMG_6054.jpeg

OP
OP
J A' mhuir

J A' mhuir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
08/26/24

Late posting but need to get this logged here. So long lol….

BIG UPDATE: the clowns are bullying the helfrichi and so I am going to rehome them and get some new fish that aren’t aggressive.

I am thinking a possum wrass, a goby and a molly miller blenny.

This week I got some cutters and snipped the plugs flat and placed corals where I wanted them for now lol… just to get the frag rack off the glass and the frags on rocks….

I finally am rid of the Dino’s for now. I see hair algae starting. The water is the clearest ever.

I finally got my Nitrates up, only to low levels. Phosphates were up higher tho 0.18.
Haven’t done a water change but will this week prob.

I caved and ordered the Hannah Nitrate checker HR. And stupidly ordered the wrong reagent. So I’ll exchanged that.

Today I may have found bubble algae on one of my Astrea snails… It looked blueish and hard at first. When I squeezed it with tweezers it popped and became clear. It was stuck pretty hard to the snail.

IMG_6121.jpeg

I picked up a PAR meter today borrowed from Nick Corraine. So kind of him to loan it out to me.

I tested the tank and found these readings:

The torch was getting 70 ish par
orange Zoa 120 dead center
Frogspawn 100
Favia 95
Toadstool 71
Right side Zoa’s getting 60 on rock and 55 on sand bed Zoa.
Back left corner only getting 30 PAR

As far as I can find the recommended PAR is as follows

LPS - Torch 100-200
Zoanthids/softies 50-200
Toadstools 100-200
Favia are lower LPS 50-100

So upping my lighting just a little to try and get the recommended PAR up.

The controller, only lets me scale in 5% increments.

So I decided to go from 45% blue to 50% blue. Whites staying at 5%.

Schedule: Old
11:50 am -1pm ramp up to 5% W and 45% Blue. 9pm -10pm ramp down.

Schedule new:
12pm - 1pm ramp up to 5% W and 50% Blue. 9:05 Zero W and 50% blue ramp down to 10 pm out….

Will test PAR tomorrow when I get home from Farm if I can before work.

I also today made a new rock structure. Low arches and much surface area on top.

I want to replace or rearrange some of the rock and add this new one. To have more hiding for fish and covering more sand.

IMG_6115.jpeg

ALSO ON A ROCK IN THE TANK. I have seen this deep red film growing. Stunning color but I’m afraid it’s not coraline…. I took the long tweezers and it kinda came off easy and strings of it kinda flowed in the current. Yuck ‍

That’s it for now!! Update tomorrow on new PAR reedings.

OP
OP
J A' mhuir

J A' mhuir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
08/31/24
Where is time going? It’s crazy to me.

08/27 last Tuesday, I returned my Clownfish to A Reef Creation. They were kind enough to take them back for me and give me a $30 store credit. Half of what I spent for both of them. No one online would take them, yes people can get clowns for free or very cheap.

I used that credit to purchase a pink streaked wrass. Cute little thing.

It is very shy today August 31 was the first time I saw it come out and eat.

I tested my phosphates around 2:15 PM, the day after the water change. The water phosphates were .21 and they are .13 right now. So I added a GFO pouch, that came with the second caddie.

That should bring it down.

Yesterday during the water change, I rearranged the rock Work and added the new piece that I created. I’m very happy with it. It creates a lot of low arches that connects to the larger arch rock, slowly descending to the Sandbed.

I think I’m done, I am happy with it. I was going to be done before, but I realized I really didn’t have enough places for these shy fishes to hide.

The Greenstar polyp is growing a foot on the back wall where it’s attached. Which is great to see. I think it likes dirtier water. So it’s been a challenge keeping it happy with my Euphylias needs.

Yesterday I added activated carbon pellets. Replacing the carbon pouch that came with the tank. Well overdue to have that replaced. The water is pretty crystal.

IMG_6157.jpeg
IMG_6150.jpeg

OP
OP
J A' mhuir

J A' mhuir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 09/01/24

Bought 2 emerald crabs to hopefully get ahead of bubble algae. And brought home a mystery wrasse. Super pretty thing. About the same price as helfrichi. Super shy and much larger than all other fish so I hope that isn’t a problem!!

Back