New emp angel spots

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know what these spots are? Added her yesterday to the DT. Did not QT due to the last two fish Ive gotten dying in QT within a few days of getting them (the sohal and then a tiny powder blue tang). And shes a pretty big fish for a 15 gallon QT, wouldnt be able to move around much and I felt that would stress her out. Shes active and picking at rocks I just noticed these this morning. Ill need to treat the display tank (only invert is a horseshoe crab and my 3 eels and a puffer for copper sensitive livestock). Just was not sure what it is exactly since it didnt look like ich to me? Really dont want to lose her since I just got her and shes my dream fish!!! Ugh.

@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

IMG_6649.jpeg IMG_6648.jpeg IMG_6647.jpeg
Emperor angels show those spots for a variety of reasons - ich most commonly, then flukes, then generalized stress. They are really flakey about showing spots like that.
Correct, you won’t be able to put that fish in a 15 gallon tank, but if this is ich, you are going to need to treat it outside your display. Flukes can sometimes be handled in your display.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emperor angels show those spots for a variety of reasons - ich most commonly, then flukes, then generalized stress. They are really flakey about showing spots like that.
Correct, you won’t be able to put that fish in a 15 gallon tank, but if this is ich, you are going to need to treat it outside your display. Flukes can sometimes be handled in your display.
Which does it look like to you? Ive been looking for a decent sized tank to set up as a QT for bigger fish like her

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which does it look like to you? Ive been looking for a decent sized tank to set up as a QT for bigger fish like her
You can’t tell by just looking, their skin reaction is identical from multiple causes. I often have to do skin scrapes and look under a microscope to truly know what the cause is.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looked better yesterday but I woke up to her looking like this. @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal @MnFish1 ? Does look like she has some ich spots (maybe?) I also have very fine sand as well that my puffer always has stuck to him so Im not sure. One of my tangs has two ich spots but thats it

Attachments

• IMG_6681.jpeg
    IMG_6681.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6680.jpeg
    IMG_6680.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6679.jpeg
    IMG_6679.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and as if my luck couldnt get worse, my sump exploded a few days ago!!! Yeah you read that right, EXPLODED. -.- sorry bit of a rant, super frustrated with this tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
She looked better yesterday but I woke up to her looking like this. @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal @MnFish1 ? Does look like she has some ich spots (maybe?) I also have very fine sand as well that my puffer always has stuck to him so Im not sure. One of my tangs has two ich spots but thats it
Personally, I would do a quarantine cleansing consisting of 30 days coppersafe at 2.25 and followed by PraziPro in a separate tank with new water
How is tank water quality? May have been a contributor to this

Sump? Second time ive heard of this occuring

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would do a quarantine cleansing consisting of 30 days coppersafe at 2.25 and followed by PraziPro in a separate tank with new water
How is tank water quality? May have been a contributor to this

Sump? Second time ive heard of this occuring
The water is okay, Im doing a big water change tonight since the sump exploded and now I dont have any mechanical or media able to be filtered until I get the sump repaired/replaced. I only have a 15 gallon QT but Im going to move her tonight to it and treat her there, probably my best option at the moment since I have to fix the sump cs getting a bigger QT tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The water is okay, Im doing a big water change tonight since the sump exploded and now I dont have any mechanical or media able to be filtered until I get the sump repaired/replaced. I only have a 15 gallon QT but Im going to move her tonight to it and treat her there, probably my best option at the moment since I have to fix the sump cs getting a bigger QT tank
15g is I believe the same footprint of a 10g but taller and water will foul quickly - not the best housing for this fish. These fish need Good water quality and diet and has to be upgraded from Okay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15g is I believe the same footprint of a 10g but taller and water will foul quickly - not the best housing for this fish. These fish need Good water quality and diet and has to be upgraded from Okay
Ah okay, Ill leave her in the display for now. Any advice how to treat in the display?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like how emperors react to ich. The improvement followed by relapse is also a symptom.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ah okay, Ill leave her in the display for now. Any advice how to treat in the display?
There's no good reef safe ich treatment and really needs quarantine using coppersafe as mentioned

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no good reef safe ich treatment and really needs quarantine using coppersafe as mentioned
Gotcha thank you. Ill have to do hypo salinity then, with this sump issue I have to fix that with the money I was going ton use to get a good sized QT tank unfortunately :(

petcellar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so sorry!

I had a very similar story with an emperor angel once

Same sort of blotchy spots

Tried formalin but no help

Tried coppersafe and really seemed to worked.

But came back with a vengeance and the fish died :(

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so sorry!

I had a very similar story with an emperor angel once

Same sort of blotchy spots

Tried formalin but no help

Tried coppersafe and really seemed to worked.

But came back with a vengeance and the fish died :(
Yeah emperors seem so finicky

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back