New fish possibly full of ich? HELP!

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still floating, couldn't really check him out in the pet store given it was inside a cup along with other really tiny creatures.

IMG_3525.jpeg
IMG_3526.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like it. do you have a QT tank? You could do a bucket if you have a heater and a way to aerate like an airstone or powerhead. I wouldn’t put that fish in your main tank.

OP
OP

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like it. do you have a QT tank? You could do a bucket if you have a heater and a way to aerate like an airstone or powerhead. I wouldn’t put that fish in your main tank.
Yes I do i quickly set up a bucket with a new mix of salt mini powerhead and heater, would u put the shrimp in? They can carry ich i read.

OP
OP

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on removing a rock i have from my main tank which didnt fit the look so I was gonna toss that in this bucket as well since it's seeded already.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you need to treat the fish or take it back. The shrimp can’t be in with medicine. It can have its own tank and 45 days no fish at 81 degrees or until it molts.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on removing a rock i have from my main tank which didnt fit the look so I was gonna toss that in this bucket as well since it's seeded already.

Rock can’t mix with copper. Hypo maybe but it would probably have die off which may or may not cause ammonia issues.

Bottled bacteria and a sponge filter and add some hiding spots, fake aquarium decor or pvc.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Ich. Copper treatment (copper power) for 30 days would be advised 2.25ppm-2.5ppm therapeutic levels for fish ONLY(no inverts). Hannah Checker for accurate test results as copper can be toxic.

OP
OP

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock can’t mix with copper. Hypo maybe but it would probably have die off which may or may not cause ammonia issues.

Bottled bacteria and a sponge filter and add some hiding spots, fake aquarium decor or pvc.
Looks like ill be returning them : / will they survive the night in the bucket, its one gallon. I assume so since they can be shipping in tiny bags for an be in there for 24 hours?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ill be returning them : / will they survive the night in the bucket, its one gallon. I assume so since they can be shipping in tiny bags for an be in there for 24 hours?
Sorry to hear about your problems with your fish.

Can you provide some aeration to the 1 gallon bucket? An air stone and air pump (and heater!) would go a long way. You can get a $7 battery powered air pump from any sporting goods store that sells live minnows for fish-bait. You can get the same air pump at Walmart, if you're near one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marine-M...Sa7HZnSnAMhaW4XxsFNuB_MURV7JfXnUaAgTPEALw_wcB

I'm so, so not an expert, but it looks like you have some form of Ich. The shrimp can carry the Ich too.

Ideally, you'd need two QT tanks, one for the shrimper, and one for the fish that's medicatd with copper. That's in addition to, and kept separately from, your display tank.

If you can return this livestock, I'd suggest it. Otherwise, I would suggest a full quarantine on these animals. Again, this will require a couple of extra tanks and some work, but it's the safest bet at this point, in my opinion.

Good luck! I hope I've offered some help!

OP
OP

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your problems with your fish.

Can you provide some aeration to the 1 gallon bucket? An air stone and air pump (and heater!) would go a long way. You can get a $7 battery powered air pump from any sporting goods store that sells live minnows for fish-bait. You can get the same air pump at Walmart, if you're near one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marine-M...Sa7HZnSnAMhaW4XxsFNuB_MURV7JfXnUaAgTPEALw_wcB

I'm so, so not an expert, but it looks like you have some form of Ich. The shrimp can carry the Ich too.

Ideally, you'd need two QT tanks, one for the shrimper, and one for the fish that's medicatd with copper. That's in addition to, and kept separately from, your display tank.

If you can return this livestock, I'd suggest it. Otherwise, I would suggest a full quarantine on these animals. Again, this will require a couple of extra tanks and some work, but it's the safest bet at this point, in my opinion.

Good luck! I hope I've offered some help!
Yeap, I cant really set up a QT since im still setting up my current tank. I will be returning tomorrow. I have the powerhead pointing up with a bunch of surface agitation. I don't have an air pump at the moment and its 10pm :(

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got them in the bucket now, dosed a tiny bit of bacteria.

Yea, my only concern is the ich infection is bad and a weak fish could get sucked to the pump. Air stone would be better. Or if you can put sponge over the grate of the pump. I would give them something to hide in. Even plastic cup or something.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you could technically still get ich from the bag float. They tend to get water on the bags and set the bags on tables where many bags and fish have sat before. Water spills and drips happen. I’d say chances are low but not zero.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap, I cant really set up a QT since im still setting up my current tank. I will be returning tomorrow. I have the powerhead pointing up with a bunch of surface agitation. I don't have an air pump at the moment and its 10pm :(
Keep the pump pointed at the surface of the water. That will oxygenate the water, which I think is important right now. I hate to say it, but yo may be best to return these fish. I'm glad your LFS will take them back.

Yea, my only concern is the ich infection is bad and a weak fish could get sucked to the pump. Air stone would be better. Or if you can put sponge over the grate of the pump. I would give them something to hide in. Even plastic cup or something.
Sound advice for sure. I'd add that some of us grab cheap PVC pipe pieces to use in their QT tanks as hides for the fish.

OP
OP

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the pump pointed at the surface of the water. That will oxygenate the water, which I think is important right now. I hate to say it, but yo may be best to return these fish. I'm glad your LFS will take them back.

Sound advice for sure. I'd add that some of us grab cheap PVC pipe pieces to use in their QT tanks as hides for the fish.
Even if they don’t give me my money back or store credit, i won’t abandon them. I’ll take the loss and give them back for free i should have closer inspected myself.

OP
OP

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you could technically still get ich from the bag float. They tend to get water on the bags and set the bags on tables where many bags and fish have sat before. Water spills and drips happen. I’d say chances are low but not zero.
This was what i feared, but it seems like ich is inevitable. It's just how you treat it, I have UV but it's not set up.

Yes i have a small PVC pipe in there, the shrimp is already inside and the fish is like next to it just under it. He seems weak. : /

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
This is a definite return especially if you are not willing to quarantine which is a must. These fish are not the easiest to QT and I again would return it and find a different store as their system in whole could be infected.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back