New Maxima keeper

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams need quality light and a LOT of magnesium.... get it up to 1600-1700 thru supplements

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clams need quality light and a LOT of magnesium.... get it up to 1600-1700 thru supplements
I agree with quality light, but your assertion of high magnesium is a major mind story. OP, keep it at natural levels and you'll be fine. Where are you getting your info in regards to magnesium?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm working on lowering my ammonia. It's down to .08, I think it might be my HOB filter. I ordered All for Reef. So hopefully I can raise my calcium a little and add some trace elements that might be missing.
Your calcium is perfectly fine, raising by 30ppm is pointless, just keep your parameters stable and you'll be fine. I don't get these "target" numbers people are spreading.
If you're actually reading ammonia, you need to add some real bacteria to bolster your biological filter, via some real live rock or rock from an established system.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll see what AFR gets my levels at. I was thinking 1450 but I can slowly bump those numbers up if need be.
Look, if your magnesium levels are between 1350 - 1450, you're fine. I think 1400 give or a take a little is perfectly fine. It's more about stability than a target number.

OP
OP
SaltyCrew4u

SaltyCrew4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your calcium is perfectly fine, raising by 30ppm is pointless, just keep your parameters stable and you'll be fine. I don't get these "target" numbers people are spreading.
If you're actually reading ammonia, you need to add some real bacteria to bolster your biological filter, via some real live rock or rock from an established system.
I have been adding Microbacter7 and ZEObak. I has I had my Nitrate amd Phos bottom out so I stopped doing water changes for a couple weeks.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with quality light, but your assertion of high magnesium is a major mind story. OP, keep it at natural levels and you'll be fine. Where are you getting your info in regards to magnesium?
25 yrs of experience

1000142284.jpg

1600-1700 might be a little aggressive.

A solid 1500 is a great place to be for clams....which consume a lot of Mag

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been adding Microbacter7 and ZEObak. I has I had my Nitrate amd Phos bottom out so I stopped doing water changes for a couple weeks.
Your nutrients are bottoming out because you’re adding that bacteria. Just let your biome grow and you’ll be fine. The bacteria I’m talking about doesn’t come from bottles.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
25 yrs of experience

1000142284.jpg

1600-1700 might be a little aggressive.

A solid 1500 is a great place to be for clams....which consume a lot of Mag
I think a target range of 1350-1400 is more reasonable. Just because one website says clams consume magnesium, doesn’t mean you need more or need to keep it super elevated, you just need a constant supply at normal ranges. Nowhere did they state they need 1700+ppm of magnesium. In fact, they mentioned calcium as being critical over magnesium. Clams consume a lot of traces, etc, that doesn’t correlate to, you should keep your numbers higher than normal. Having been in this hobby for over 40 years, I can tell you that keeping parameters close to or just above NSW is a very good recipe for success.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a target range of 1350-1400 is more reasonable. Just because one website says clams consume magnesium, doesn’t mean you need more or need to keep it super elevated, you just need a constant supply at normal ranges. Nowhere did they state they need 1700+ppm of magnesium. In fact, they mentioned calcium as being critical over magnesium. Clams consume a lot of traces, etc, that doesn’t correlate to, you should keep your numbers higher than normal. Having been in this hobby for over 40 years, I can tell you that keeping parameters close to or just above NSW is a very good recipe for success.
You're right... just keep handing out your consistent advice

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're right... just keep handing out your consistent advice
It’s all good. I’m not trying to come across as a know it all, because I’m constantly learning new things myself and I definitely don’t know it all, but it’s a process/road that we all travel. A couple things that keep me grounded, patience, being practical and being skeptical, and never being afraid to ask questions or admit that I’m wrong. I would rather be wrong about something and learn something new, than to remain ignorant in my stubbornness. Happy reefing!

Jari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on lowering my ammonia. It's down to .08, I think it might be my HOB filter. I ordered All for Reef. So hopefully I can raise my calcium a little and add some trace elements that might be missing.
Ammonia is not going to be an issue, I have dosed ammonium bicarbonate a few months due to low nitrate values (more on Randy's ammonia-thread) - my maxima is doing better than ever.

They do enjoy high PAR, mine usually used to lean towars Hydra's instead of Prime's. The clam will move itself towards the light (if not completely fixed to the substrate), that is one of the first signs you might want to have some extra punch. Pretty much the only time my clam has been unhappy has been during tank move, when it decided to make sexy time making the whole tank white.

Good luck with your clam, below is my +10 year old fellow (serves as a couch for blenny & gobies :)

IMG_3935.jpeg

OP
OP
SaltyCrew4u

SaltyCrew4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is not going to be an issue, I have dosed ammonium bicarbonate a few months due to low nitrate values (more on Randy's ammonia-thread) - my maxima is doing better than ever.

They do enjoy high PAR, mine usually used to lean towars Hydra's instead of Prime's. The clam will move itself towards the light (if not completely fixed to the substrate), that is one of the first signs you might want to have some extra punch. Pretty much the only time my clam has been unhappy has been during tank move, when it decided to make sexy time making the whole tank white.

Good luck with your clam, below is my +10 year old fellow (serves as a couch for blenny & gobies :)

IMG_3935.jpeg
Good to know about my ammonia. I have read multiple times that most reef tanks always have ammonia present. But I am still learning so who knows. My clam has been in the same position, and has been attached the entire time. It is at the highest spot it can be and with a good amount of light. How open should my clam be? I'm not talking about gaping, but more so how to tell if it's happy. It has new white growth. I just feel like it should open just a tad more.

Jari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about my ammonia. I have read multiple times that most reef tanks always have ammonia present. But I am still learning so who knows. My clam has been in the same position, and has been attached the entire time. It is at the highest spot it can be and with a good amount of light. How open should my clam be? I'm not talking about gaping, but more so how to tell if it's happy. It has new white growth. I just feel like it should open just a tad more.
One thing to add - of course ammonia (like any parameter) is going to be an issue, if they are drastically off the scale. But as long as the tank is cycled, and pretty much stable, the clam should be fine.

Gaping (or pinched mantle) are indeed good signs that the fellow is not completely happy :)
Below is my maxima from above for a reference.

IMG_3920.jpeg

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back