New Royal Gramma

krs14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best picture but I added a royal gramma into my tank about 2-3 hours ago. It has stayed in the same side of the tank and has moved up and down but hasn’t really explored the tank yet. It has just kinda been stuck to the side of the tank. I do have two clowns in it already. Is this normal behavior for a new royal gramma? I’m nervous about it.
IMG_8795.jpeg

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird that it would choose to hide there, but not weird that it's hiding most newly-introduced fish take awhile to adjust especially when there is other fish in the tank. Keep monitoring it look out for heavy breathing and swimming issues. @Jay Hemdal can help more.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unusual for royal gramma :) They tend to stay in weird spots and impossible positions. It is also adjusting an d probably a bit stressed, but will most probably head in the rocks and stay there shy a couple of days

OP
OP
K

krs14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird that it would choose to hide there, but not weird that it's hiding most newly-introduced fish take awhile to adjust especially when there is other fish in the tank. Keep monitoring it look out for heavy breathing and swimming issues. @Jay Hemdal can help more.

My clowns were interested in it and kinda chased it around and it just went right to there and has been there ever since. I have been checking it every few minutes because I’ve been a nervous wreck over it. When I got my clowns they immediately went exploring and have been doing amazing ever since. New to the hobby so just wanted to make sure it’s normal. It seems to be doing fine so far, no heavy breathing and has swam up and down. Thank you!

CallmePablo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best picture but I added a royal gramma into my tank about 2-3 hours ago. It has stayed in the same side of the tank and has moved up and down but hasn’t really explored the tank yet. It has just kinda been stuck to the side of the tank. I do have two clowns in it already. Is this normal behavior for a new royal gramma? I’m nervous about it.
IMG_8795.jpeg
You have enough liverocks? Also any other fish that could possibly be bothering him?

OP
OP
K

krs14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unusual for royal gramma :) They tend to stay in weird spots and impossible positions. It is also adjusting an d probably a bit stressed, but will most probably head in the rocks and stay there shy a couple of days
Thank you! Just wanted to ask to make sure it was normal. It has been stressing me out for the past few hours so I figured I would ask here.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It likes that position. But I’m wondering why there and why not in the rocks? They normally hide behind the rocks

OP
OP
K

krs14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They will actually swim upside down from time to time. Give it a few days he will be out and about.
Thank you! I was just getting a little nervous. I have been checking on it a lot to make sure there’s no signs of heavy breathing, etc.

OP
OP
K

krs14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have enough liverocks? Also any other fish that could possibly be bothering him?
There is enough live rock there even may be a little bit more than enough. My clowns did chase it a bit once I took it out of the bag after acclimating it and my royal gramma just kinda swam right to there and hid there but they haven’t been bothering it since it’s been in the corner.

OP
OP
K

krs14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It likes that position. But I’m wondering why there and why not in the rocks? They normally hide behind the rocks
Once I took it out of the bag after acclimating it my clowns kinda chased it and it quickly just went there. My clowns haven’t been bothering it at all since it’s been hiding there.

CallmePablo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is enough live rock there even may be a little bit more than enough. My clowns did chase it a bit once I took it out of the bag after acclimating it and my royal gramma just kinda swam right to there and hid there but they haven’t been bothering it since it’s been in the corner.
yeah i think he is fine, just need time.

OP
OP
K

krs14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update as of this morning!! (Not the best picture) It laid in the back of our tank all night on its side. I was losing some faith as I thought it was dead, I went to net it out and it swam. There was so signs of heavy breathing, etc. Turned on the lights this morning it got up and swam with our clowns, explored around a bit and went hiding into the rocks. Very happy it’s inside the rocks now and not laying in the sand. My clowns love this little tunnel under the rocks so I am very thankful it found its own little spot. My clowns don’t seem to be aggressive towards it or nipping at it, they have been just kinda really curious about it and will go over check it out and swim away. I have been keeping a close eye on my clowns to make sure they aren’t being bullies. Thanks everyone for your help! Praying it does great.
IMG_8817.jpeg

OP
OP
K

krs14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it eatin yet?
Yes! It has ate great so far. It found a spot in the rocks and it has been hanging out with my clowns swimming around. Was very nervous the first day I brought it home but it’s doing great now and has been out and about a lot!

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine likes to hide side on or occasionally upside down in his little cave most of the day then dives out for food swimming perfectly normally.
They are quite suspicious little fish & do enjoy observing the rest of the tank from their hidey spots.
Feisty too, they will chase off much bigger fish with mouths open.
I wouldn't worry too much

OP
OP
K

krs14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like he is gonna be fine. Congrats

Looks like he is gonna be fine. Congrats
It’s so far doing really great! Comes out during the day and swims around with my clowns and hangs out under the cave. When lights are off it dug a little hole under the rock and hides right in there. It’s been eating great as well. Thank you!

OP
OP
K

krs14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine likes to hide side on or occasionally upside down in his little cave most of the day then dives out for food swimming perfectly normally.
They are quite suspicious little fish & do enjoy observing the rest of the tank from their hidey spots.
Feisty too, they will chase off much bigger fish with mouths open.
I wouldn't worry too much
I just got a little worried the first day it looked like it was dead laying on its side but the second day it got up swam around. Now it hangs out in the cave and swims around with the clowns. It’s been eating great, no signs of heavy breathing, etc. At night it hides in the little hole under the rock it dug. So happy it’s doing great! Gave me a lot of anxiety the first day. My one clown is large so whenever it swims near my royal gramma it does open its mouth. Thankfully my clowns aren’t mean, they are just pretty curious about it since it’s new and they have been the only ones in the tank for a bit.

Back