New small fish. Appeared white spot.

mchan004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the Black Tang fish from the store 2 days ago. Its length is 1.5 inches. Today, a lot of white spots have appeared on its body.
I keep it together with Nemo and Blue Tang. They eat a lot. But the Black Tang only eats algae on the glass and doesn’t eat anything else, like Artemia or seaweed. I’ve tried using Garlic Guard, but it hasn’t been effective.
What should I do now?

Video:

Thank you for all the help.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spots appear to be mucus plugs based on their size. I assume you did not QT the fish since you've only got it a couple of days ago and its in the tank with other fish.

The most likely diagnosis is the fish has ich which will likely spread to the other tangs and fish in the tank. If you do not treat, you will see the spots disappear and reappear over the coming days. Each time they reappear, their number will increase and be debilitating and likely lead to death.

You will need to quarantine all the fish and follow the 30 day copper treatment protocol to eliminate the parasite. You will need the proper medication. We recommend either CopperPower or CopperSafe. If these are not available in your country, you will need to search for similar formulated medication.

If you do not have invertebrates and coral in your tank, you could also try hyposalinity..

Instructions for QT can be found in the link below. Instructions for hypo salinity can be found in one of the stickies in this forum.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I just bought the Black Tang fish from the store 2 days ago. Its length is 1.5 inches. Today, a lot of white spots have appeared on its body.
I keep it together with Nemo and Blue Tang. They eat a lot. But the Black Tang only eats algae on the glass and doesn’t eat anything else, like Artemia or seaweed. I’ve tried using Garlic Guard, but it hasn’t been effective.
What should I do now?

Video:

Thank you for all the help.

Spors are larger than typical ich but appear to be mucus cones mixed in with ich. Generally other occupants will not show signs as these often stem from irritation in skin. Treatment will be in a separate tank using coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

Back