New Trident?

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is ZERO proof. As they said there are 3 bottles. All in the unit. And on those bottles in that video it quite literally says to "connect to pickup tube." They also said they will "neutralize waste to avoid using too much water" That video said nothing about mixing. Hmmm
My clip was cut off before Tom says “3B goes into 3A”. This is a fixed link.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be just laziness on the part of Neptune to make the N/P a separate unit. They could increase the length of the unit to accommodate the required reagents to test all 5. Who want 2 ugly tridents crammed into a already crowded sump area…
I get what you're saying, but it simply doesn't make sense. If you initially put out a product that does a specific task, and sell thousands of units, then based on that success you put out another product a few years later that does the same thing and something new.

How do you think the people who are using the 1st product are going to feel when they have to make that 1st purchase obsolete to take advantage of the new offering?

Finding something to be mad about is one thing, but ignoring logic while doing so is another.

It has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with product longevity and perceived worth.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you're saying, but it simply doesn't make sense. If you initially put out a product that does a specific task, and sell thousands of units, then based on that success you put out another product a few years later that does the same thing and something new.

How do you think the people who are using the 1st product are going to feel when they have to make that 1st purchase obsolete to take advantage of the new offering?

Finding something to be mad about is one thing, but ignoring logic while doing so is another.

It has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with product longevity and perceived worth.

This is a logical statement.

It is also a two part answer. The second part is that not everyone may want to test nitrate and phosphates.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If that was the case, they could launch 2 products. All in one, and a stand alone N/P unit. However not the case. Lazy.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If that was the case, they could launch 2 products. All in one, and a stand alone N/P unit. However not the case. Lazy.

its not a huge market to support 2 products. They have the molds already for the plastic injection and all the parts. Its a color and Software change to do it.

they arent going to sell a million Tridents. Its an economy issue not a lazy issue. Although I will have both, im going to be a very very very small portion of the market.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not a huge market to support 2 products. They have the molds already for the plastic injection and all the parts. Its a color and Software change to do it.

they arent going to sell a million Tridents. Its an economy issue not a lazy issue. Although I will have both, im going to be a very very very small portion of the market.

You can't reason with some fellow hobbyists.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can't reason with some fellow hobbyists.

for sure.. most people think companies are out for the good of the hobbiest... those products last a year before the company goes belly up. If you like the Neptune products, understand they are out for money and to be sustainable they need to be smart about the products they release... and sometimes like my MXM they are not good products lol

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like Trident NP reagents 3A and 3B will need to be mixed together per the video clip posted. It activates and basically have 2-3 month shelf life.

I'm hoping the individual reagents will have a much longer shelf life because I like to order my reagents in 6-12 months increments instead of every 2 months to save on shipping. Also, I don't plan to test everyday.

Also interesting to see that drain needs to be neutralized. I wish they would give a little more detail about why. Is it acidic? Is acrylic waste container okay? Etc. I hope they do provide a little more information since the product is officially priced and to be released by end of month.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s literally a massive market.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they did launch 2 products (all 5, and np) would you want the price of the all 5 to be equal to the sum of both? Less? Or more?

I'd venture to guess that this scenario would've increased production price across the board. Whether we saw that increase only in the all 5 unit or spread between the 2. The ultimate conclusion would be that consumers would've ate that cost. Whether we knew about it or not.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By reason, you actually mean someone agreeing with you.

No, not at all. If I was to try and reason with you or try to persuade you to accept something I would be using sensible arguments.

For instance,

Neptune already had a Trident on the market, or
Neptune already had the foundation of test automation so this could save time and money, or
Neptune was concerned about the user base when assessing new unit or add on leaving some out, or
Neptune decided it was best for an optional N & P unit as some hobbyist may not care to test,

These are reasonable things none of which are related to ugly or lazy. Those are opinions which is why I replied as I did. It is impossible for me or others to reason.

To be fair, and honesty in reefing, you are a fellow hobbyist and maybe I didn't articulate or properly provide sensible replies. So I will own that.

Hope your day is going well.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they did launch 2 products (all 5, and np) would you want the price of the all 5 to be equal to the sum of both? Less? Or more?

I'd venture to guess that this scenario would've increased production price across the board. Whether we saw that increase only in the all 5 unit or spread between the 2. The ultimate conclusion would be that consumers would've ate that cost. Whether we knew about it or not.

A few of the points made here I'm sure came up in the design meetings. At the end of the day you can't please everyone but as long as there is a reason why it was done most will accept it. If there is a demand or hobbyist provide information then they can always go back and make a single unit.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like Trident NP reagents 3A and 3B will need to be mixed together per the video clip posted. It activates and basically have 2-3 month shelf life.

I'm hoping the individual reagents will have a much longer shelf life because I like to order my reagents in 6-12 months increments instead of every 2 months to save on shipping. Also, I don't plan to test everyday.

Also interesting to see that drain needs to be neutralized. I wish they would give a little more detail about why. Is it acidic? Is acrylic waste container okay? Etc. I hope they do provide a little more information since the product is officially priced and to be released by end of month.

I'm sure they are collecting that information now and will provide it. Same with the other auto testers. That is sort of a big deal. Both waste management and safety.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to take out my crystal ball and make a prediction.

They release the N/P unit. And no less than a year and no more than 2 years later, they announce the release of a single Trident that does all. The cost will be more than a single trident but less than buying 2. They will frame it as “we’ve listened to your demands” and here’s the new product. But all they really did was hem most into buying the second trident, then offering an all in one, knowing that a lot people will trade up for a single unit, as it’s smaller than 2 and more convenient and just plain ol “new” equipment to burn money on.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to take out my crystal ball and make a prediction.

They release the N/P unit. And no less than a year and no more than 2 years later, they announce the release of a single Trident that does all. The cost will be more than a single trident but less than buying 2. They will frame it as “we’ve listened to your demands” and here’s the new product. But all they really did was hem most into buying the second trident, then offering an all in one, knowing that a lot people will trade up for a single unit, as it’s smaller than 2 and more convenient and just plain ol “new” equipment to burn money on.
That's a reasonable prediction. That decision will speak volumes to where they are as a company.

As for an all in one sales price being less than the sum of both units... I don't see that in any scenario, unless they apply product life cycle cost analysis and significantly lower the sale price of both units (originaltrident and np). But you'll have to point to an instance that a company in our niche space has done that. I personally I cant think of one.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a reasonable prediction. That decision will speak volumes to where they are as a company.

As for an all in one sales price being less than the sum of both units... I don't see that in any scenario, unless they apply product life cycle cost analysis and significantly lower the sale price of both units (originaltrident and np). But you'll have to point to an instance that a company in our niche space has done that. I personally I cant think of one.
Yeah, I think the Maven’s price point will likely determine where they land with theirs. Will they position theirs as a premium product and be a little higher or land on par.

And I retract my “lazy” comment with Phuckery in its place.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Trident NP is going to sell like hot cakes, $650 is a good price point (I do wish that $650 at least included reagents though) and it would not be a problem for Neptune to fulfill because it is literally the same production line as the original Trident. It's a cool new toy, and I'm sure there are a lot of APEX users that will buy it. But once Maven does come out, and then we'll see a shift towards the next newest shiny new toy for reefers to spend on. Neptune was smart to re-use the same mold as the original Trident, it got them ahead of Hydros by 6 months...and now they will have the market to themselves for next 6 months. I do wish the form factor of the Trident can be stacked on each other...but I guess they never thought they would release a NP version before. Really looking forward to more user reviews.

Back