NO3 and PO3 off the charts

rc1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N03 and P04 are off the charts, I started dozing vinegar a week and a half ago.
210 plus 48 refugium with macro. Have 0 algea anywhere and water clear as can be.
Have rollermat, skimmer and UV light.
Started dosing 50 mils first week and Friday increased it to 100.
Beginning to wonder if I need to go higher on the dozing and I have Phosguard I can throw in sump

IMG_1207.jpeg IMG_1208.jpeg

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before taking all kind of reactions that might unstabilize your tank more, i'd verify those test numbers with a few more tests, specially for those colored coded ones and since you say there is no algae in the tank. I wouldn't consider them off the charts, you can still manage that down, just take it slow IME, the vinegar/vodka takes a while to work. Have you tested a few hours after dosing and see if the numbers are coming down at all? Test regularly before increasing doses I think

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N03 and P04 are off the charts, I started dozing vinegar a week and a half ago.
210 plus 48 refugium with macro. Have 0 algea anywhere and water clear as can be.
Have rollermat, skimmer and UV light.
Started dosing 50 mils first week and Friday increased it to 100.
Beginning to wonder if I need to go higher on the dozing and I have Phosguard I can throw in sump

IMG_1207.jpeg IMG_1208.jpeg
Couple thoughts

I’ve had an API phosphate test fail high. Maybe get another brand of phosphate test before deciding on a course of action.

Since the nitrate test is pegged on the highest reading, dilute 1 mL of aquarium water with 9 mL of new salt water and test this mixture. The result will be 1/10 the aquarium water concentration. Do this to determine the nitrate level before taking further action. By the way, is there any chance the aquarium is kinda new and might still have a nitrite level?

OP
OP
R

rc1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both Salifurt and API on both and still had the same results. The tank is about 15 months old as are the live stock

OP
OP
R

rc1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple thoughts

I’ve had an API phosphate test fail high. Maybe get another brand of phosphate test before deciding on a course of action.

Since the nitrate test is pegged on the highest reading, dilute 1 mL of aquarium water with 9 mL of new salt water and test this mixture. The result will be 1/10 the aquarium water concentration. Do this to determine the nitrate level before taking further action. By the way, is there any chance the aquarium is kinda new and might still have a nitrite level?
Nitrite at 0

OP
OP
R

rc1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before taking all kind of reactions that might unstabilize your tank more, i'd verify those test numbers with a few more tests, specially for those colored coded ones and since you say there is no algae in the tank. I wouldn't consider them off the charts, you can still manage that down, just take it slow IME, the vinegar/vodka takes a while to work. Have you tested a few hours after dosing and see if the numbers are coming down at all? Test regularly before increasing doses I think
No, I have being testing prior to dosing every 3 days

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use RODI with well water? I don't know enough about well waters to know if the nitrates can raise after a rain storm or something. Still recommend the water change.

OP
OP
R

rc1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use RODI with well water? I don't know enough about well waters to know if the nitrates can raise after a rain storm or something. Still recommend the water change.
I have done 2 50% water changes in the last 3 months. Was told by a fellow reefer to look at dosing and I came to this site to get started.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 18 8.5%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 49 23.0%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 50 23.5%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 5.2%
Back