Ocean live rock, skip cycle?

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

i have just started my new 2nd reef tank ever wich is a 50 gallon AIO (40 gallon tank) & this time i used about 60% live rock from the ocean (transported damp for half a day straight out of a tank at my LFS) the remaining rock is dry rock.
Does live rock from the ocean also skip cycle or how should i look at this? Should i just be testing ammonia every day till it is 0?
I don't wanna lose any bacteria due to no bio-load or food for them.

This whole topic is totally new for me, i'm used to waiting 4-6 weeks even with live rock.

Thanks!

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are at 0 ammonia add 2ppm ammonia wait 24 hours and test again. If the aquarium can consume that ammonia in 24hrs, you’re cycled. For me the easiest way was to buy a bottle of Dr. Tim’s ammonium chloride.
Whether or not the rock will skip cycle depends how much die-off happens. This is largely determined by how the rock is handled once harvested. TBS keeps the rock submerged and ships it that way. Very little die-off. Almost guaranteed skip cycle.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are at 0 ammonia add 2ppm ammonia wait 24 hours and test again. If the aquarium can consume that ammonia in 24hrs, you’re cycled. For me the easiest way was to buy a bottle of Dr. Tim’s ammonium chloride.
Whether or not the rock will skip cycle depends how much die-off happens. This is largely determined by how the rock is handled once harvested. TBS keeps the rock submerged and ships it that way. Very little die-off. Almost guaranteed skip cycle.
i'm european so Dr. Tim's isn't a thing here :(
I can get some ammonia (5%) & do the test, thanks!

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it profitable if i use Dr. Tim's one & only?
Or is that something that shouldn't be necessary with 60% live rock?

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t think you need any bottled bacteria you have plenty of living stuff on your rock. How long it takes your tank to develop the ability to consume the ammonia in a 24hr period is the variable. It’ll most likely happen much faster than it would with dry sterile rock, just be patient and test.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t think you need any bottled bacteria you have plenty of living stuff on your rock. How long it takes your tank to develop the ability to consume the ammonia in a 24hr period is the variable. It’ll most likely happen much faster than it would with dry sterile rock, just be patient and test.
What would your game plan be? Test for ammonia every day & when it's 0, add 2ppm & check again if 0 in 24hrs?

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • My coral

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back