Oh boy...Aiptasia?

SuperReefNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this in my sand ( i scooped it up and placed it on the rock to see it better) he back of my tank, could it be? i havnt had any before, tank is about 3-4 months old and it was found near my green star polyp and about a foot away from a xenia ive had for about 2 or so weeks

20240521_122804.jpg
at t

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They s
i read that peppermint shrimp also will eat aiptasia?

They can. Some do some don’t.

Just throw that away and hope you don’t have more. It’s inevitable to get them eventually in a reef tank. I eliminated all of them with berghia Nudibranch and a ora filefish. Had none for a year. I was careful examining frags I bought. And then I got a few here and there and eventually had hundreds. I just completed a second round of berghia nudibranches and it’s been a few weeks and I haven’t seen any…hoping this time they stay out

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying a green filefish from Biota. Calmest and coolest fish I've ever had. He also loves to eat aiptasia, so there's that. Odd looking character though.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but majority of them don't.
All of the peppermint shrimp I got from reef cleaners eat them. They also grow into very nice looking additions to the tank.
PXL_20240411_001617738.jpg

My copperband also keeps them at bay but not a fish I would recommend to everyone and I wouldn't add one to an immature tank.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
is it just 1? Glue over it. smother it. i do see some "frills" that could potentially indicate GSP/xenia.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying a green filefish from Biota. Calmest and coolest fish I've ever had. He also loves to eat aiptasia, so there's that. Odd looking character though.
I picked up a mimic. Love how chill and derpy they are. Mine sleeps by the in tank ammonia badge

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a mimic. Love how chill and derpy they are. Mine sleeps by the in tank ammonia badge
When I reboot, I'm going to choose fish based on a job they can do for the ecosystem in general. Since I absolutely despise aitasia, a filefish is going to be one of the inhabitants. Not only do they dine on aiptasia, but algae as well. And they only grow to 4". It's a good choice you made.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They s

They can. Some do some don’t.

Just throw that away and hope you don’t have more. It’s inevitable to get them eventually in a reef tank. I eliminated all of them with berghia Nudibranch and a ora filefish. Had none for a year. I was careful examining frags I bought. And then I got a few here and there and eventually had hundreds. I just completed a second round of berghia nudibranches and it’s been a few weeks and I haven’t seen any…hoping this time they stay out
Might be worth setting up a small 5g nudi farm. Plus another with just Aiptasia to feed the first. Buying those aren’t cheap, either.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • NO

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back