Old Unused Snail Shells

bryan47caveman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with collecting the unused shells in my tank, smashing, and spreading amongst the sand? I don’t think there should be but haven’t found much of an answer online, also isn’t that part of what the sand is composed of anyways?

OP
OP
B

bryan47caveman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, trying to clear up some more available sand space but maybe adding some calcium back to the tank. Estimator may not work, but at least the sand won’t look like it’s cluttered with empty sand shells.

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, trying to clear up some more available sand space but maybe adding some calcium back to the tank. Estimator may not work, but at least the sand won’t look like it’s cluttered with empty sand shells.
can’t do any harm imo
i take empty shells or unsightly ones to the beach since we have hermits here
but dead coral skeletons I usually crush up and mix them in

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a normal reef tank small snail shells are left in the tank hole so hermit crab can find a new home when they get bigger. Smashing Shell and adding back to the Reef won't add calcium.

OP
OP
B

bryan47caveman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 40 gallon breeder with a bunch of rock and limited sandscape, I have a scooter blenny and a bunch of inverts, I want to clear up some space for him to roam along the available sand, but I don’t want to have a bunch of shells hanging around outside the tank. I figured I could pulverize them and mix them back in with the sand.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 40 gallon breeder with a bunch of rock and limited sandscape, I have a scooter blenny and a bunch of inverts, I want to clear up some space for him to roam along the available sand, but I don’t want to have a bunch of shells hanging around outside the tank. I figured I could pulverize them and mix them back in with the sand.
Just throw them away, or if they are big offer them as hermit crab shells for free on offer up

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IME , crush em ,add em back, same as putting coralline in a blender...

A snail's shell, which is made up of primarily calcium carbonate, begins forming during the snail's gestation period.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 47 22.5%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 5.3%
Back