Opinions: 125Gallon 6ft long

kingalee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two fish die now to wavemakers, being trapper on top of them and it killing them one was a spiney box and the other was a clown. I had three wavemakers in there (1) 800GPH, no troubles, (1) 1200GPH, and (1) 1600GPH. I’ve tried figuring out the best way to set them up to keep flow good in the tank but that being said are the wavemakers too much? They’re just common ones off of amazon nothing crazy. Is there something I can do to prevent fish being sucked into them? Both fish were perfectly fine the night before, eating swimming doing it all. If anyone has any recommendations on how to set these up? I have MULTIPLE wavemakers bc I’m currently setting up another 125G. So they’re just kind of laying around right now.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two fish die now to wavemakers, being trapper on top of them and it killing them one was a spiney box and the other was a clown. I had three wavemakers in there (1) 800GPH, no troubles, (1) 1200GPH, and (1) 1600GPH. I’ve tried figuring out the best way to set them up to keep flow good in the tank but that being said are the wavemakers too much? They’re just common ones off of amazon nothing crazy. Is there something I can do to prevent fish being sucked into them? Both fish were perfectly fine the night before, eating swimming doing it all. If anyone has any recommendations on how to set these up? I have MULTIPLE wavemakers bc I’m currently setting up another 125G. So they’re just kind of laying around right now.
They make powerhead guards, but if you're looking for a budget-friendly option, you can use plastic mesh canvas. wrap it around the powerhead and secure it with zip ties. Although I’ve had fish that looked fine get caught in power heads and later found out they were actually sick.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this has anything to do with the powerheads. Healthy fish shouldn't have any issue avoiding.

OP
OP
kingalee

kingalee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this has anything to do with the powerheads. Healthy fish shouldn't have any issue avoiding.
I have multiple other fish within the tank another clown, blue tang, jeweled damsel, 2 Benny’s. And a handful of Hermets, emeralds, and snails. This is along with nems and corals. I am getting parameters checked later at my local store so I can post this later.

OP
OP
kingalee

kingalee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how reliable is this? I’ve had it in the tank, it responds as I tested it with the glass cleaner method.

Attachments

• IMG_2586.jpeg
    IMG_2586.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 4

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are illness. Were the fish quarantined?

OP
OP
kingalee

kingalee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So… found the culprit as of lfs testing, alkalinity was 6dkh and my salinity is a 1.030. Now working on getting it lowered. Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 10 ppm. Ph is an 8.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back