Opinions on UV

Miss.Shelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone :) I am new to the community and to saltwater tanks in general. I have been researching the necessities and wanted to ask you seasoned reefers a question.
What is your honest opinion on using UV light filters?

virtual reality

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. It's not a have to have item. But, if you have the money they can help.
Tell us about your setup...

welcome.gif

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a big fan, well for 5 years anyway. When starting my 75 I had a horrible bacteria bloom no amount of water changes would clear the water. Got a Coralife Turbo Twist 6X and the bloom was gone in 3 days. When I started my 40B there was no question in my mind about adding a UV to it too. Just remeber to replace the bulb every year or it loses effectiveness.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 100 watts (4x 25W aqua UV) of UV, daisy chained together, and I rarely had to clean the glass etc, and it just started getting dirty one day, and I discovered the pump failed. Replaced pump, clear again

I also run Ozone, which even my local shop says running both is overkill, but it works for me.

My tank (acrylic) often looks like the fish are floating in air

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a big fan, well for 5 years anyway. When starting my 75 I had a horrible bacteria bloom no amount of water changes would clear the water. Got a Coralife Turbo Twist 6X and the bloom was gone in 3 days. When I started my 40B there was no question in my mind about adding a UV to it too. Just remeber to replace the bulb every year or it loses effectiveness.
+1
Same one hee, cleared my cloudy bacteria bloom overnight! Not sure if I will run it 24/7 but I def will be using it. Right now still running it low and slow as my tank is undergoing a fallow period because I'm over Ick

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had one. I ordered one last week. A Coralife Turbo Twist 6X should be here tomorrow. I think I have a bacteria bloom going on atm. The water is a bit cloudy. That's not why I am installing one but I'm interested to see what it does.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had one. I ordered one last week. A Coralife Turbo Twist 6X should be here tomorrow. I think I have a bacteria bloom going on atm. The water is a bit cloudy. That's not why I am installing one but I'm interested to see what it does.

If it is, it will clear it up. Last page tells you the flow through it for what issue you are using it for. Bacteria bloom is high flow (500gph). I literally couldn't see from one end to the other on my 5ft, hooked it up to a 440gph pump and by the next morning it was crystal clear.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone :) I am new to the community and to saltwater tanks in general. I have been researching the necessities and wanted to ask you seasoned reefers a question.
What is your honest opinion on using UV light filters?
What size tank and sump? I have like a 25 watt UV bulb submerged in the sump next to return pump. I like the idea of not having an extra pump or in line type where it would be a little more difficult to change the bulb. My bulb is water proof and I change it at least once a year. My system 46g tank and 30g sump, about 60g total.

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hang on portable UV in spot duties on a quarenteen tank when all else fails only when there is a bacteria problem with fish. Otherwise imo useless when your other gear is properly sized and setup. The problem with UV filters is that they dont just kill the bad stuff.......but the goid stuff as well. Most times UV can be completely avoided on a well setup and balanced ecosystem.

OP
OP
M

Miss.Shelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and sump? I have like a 25 watt UV bulb submerged in the sump next to return pump. I like the idea of not having an extra pump or in line type where it would be a little more difficult to change the bulb. My bulb is water proof and I change it at least once a year. My system 46g tank and 30g sump, about 60g total.

I don't have a tank set up right now. I am saving money for a 150 gallon with a 40 gallon breeder sump and maybe protein skimmer (but requires space and has a whole different set of questions lol). I was doing some research, and read about how UV filters can help with bad bacteria and slow harmful algae growth. I thought maybe it would be beneficial. Judging by the responses, it seems to be 50/50. I guess it just boils down to tank maintenance.

OP
OP
M

Miss.Shelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. It's not a have to have item. But, if you have the money they can help.
Tell us about your setup...

welcome.gif
I don't actually have the tank yet... I'm saving money for a 150 gallon tank with 40 gallon breeder sump. Maybe, possibly a protein skinned (depending on space) and T5 hybrid lighting. I'm looking into a FOWLR set up (which would eliminate lightning and UV concerns. Or a soft coral tank with a few fish...

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a tank set up right now. I am saving money for a 150 gallon with a 40 gallon breeder sump and maybe protein skimmer (but requires space and has a whole different set of questions lol). I was doing some research, and read about how UV filters can help with bad bacteria and slow harmful algae growth. I thought maybe it would be beneficial. Judging by the responses, it seems to be 50/50. I guess it just boils down to tank maintenance.
You may not need it but you will never know until you have a bacterial bloom, I have always used one on my 75g fresh when the water starts to get cloudy I turn it on and clears the water. If I leave it on 24/7 the water temp gets too high, the one in my fresh is internal canister type with a pump. I've run the reef UV 24/7 for 4 years and water is always crystal, don't know if it is a coincidence or not but I am Happy.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
run ozone midnight to 6am for water clarity.
Never ran uv, but never had a bloom.
And yes, I just set up a new acrylic which looks amazing with the ozone as clarifier.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
run ozone midnight to 6am for water clarity.
Never ran uv, but never had a bloom.
And yes, I just set up a new acrylic which looks amazing with the ozone as clarifier.
Isn't ozone dangerous for us if it gets too high a level and gets in the air we breath?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't ozone dangerous for us if it gets too high a level and gets in the air we breath?
Yes, must take precautions.
Typically it is run thru a skimmer, what enters the water reacts quickly.
What exits the skimmer via bubbles should be trapped with carbon or vented outside.
I isolate the room and assume after a couple of hours all is reacted/dissipated.
Maybe others that run differently can comment on their precautions.
I also have an air monitor.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even cheap 25W AA Green Killing Machine clear cloudy water in 1 day and keeps dinos in check.

Jerry Barnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing this for 40 years and I have a 300 FOWLR that had a bacteria bloom like I’ve never experienced before. No matter what I did I could not get to clear for almost two months. I put two 80 watt UV’s on the system and within a week it was clear.

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 100 watts (4x 25W aqua UV) of UV, daisy chained together, and I rarely had to clean the glass etc, and it just started getting dirty one day, and I discovered the pump failed. Replaced pump, clear again

I also run Ozone, which even my local shop says running both is overkill, but it works for me.

My tank (acrylic) often looks like the fish are floating in air

What brand? Pic of setup please?!?

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is, it will clear it up. Last page tells you the flow through it for what issue you are using it for. Bacteria bloom is high flow (500gph). I literally couldn't see from one end to the other on my 5ft, hooked it up to a 440gph pump and by the next morning it was crystal clear.

Can this be hooked directly up to your return pump? I am getting ready to order and want to make sure I have everything I need. Thanks

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And this has worked well for you I assume? Getting the benefits you would expect from the traditional setups?

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • My coral

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back