Opinions on UV

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone :) I am new to the community and to saltwater tanks in general. I have been researching the necessities and wanted to ask you seasoned reefers a question.
What is your honest opinion on using UV light filters?

Hello and welcome to the channel. We have been in the saltwater fish tanks for over 30 years. Only recently we started using corals and fish. This new tank has been...well, an experience, we had a huge problem with brown algae that would not go away. A friend suggested using a UV so we did. Our tank water volume including the sump is around 60-gallons. We use a 36w UV with Sicce Silent 2.0 pump at approximately 300GPH. Within a few weeks...maybe one month the brown algae is gone but of course, we are dealing with short, tough, green algae.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not use a UV in a reef tank. I know they kill algae spores and bacteria but if you have a bacterial bloom, then kill the bacteria, the stuff those bacteria were eating is still in the tank. I don't think we should kill bacteria. Just my opinion.
I like them in goldfish ponds to keep the water clear so you can see the fish.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used one for the life of my tank pretty much, a 25W AquaUV. It's hard to know if it's working since I've always used it, but I know my tank is working. Definitely no issues killing bacteria, etc, and never had sick fish. It's one of those things.. nice to have, not necessary in most cases, but 100% necessary in a select few cases.

If I were you and just getting the basics under your belt (welcome to R2R btw) I would skip it for now, and focus on getting everything else dialed in.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40W Pentair on my 180 gal, plumbed in so it's running off the return pump. Keeps the haze out of the water.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run UV in every tank, SW and FW. And I run high-level UV that matches my filtration system flow rates of anywhere from 250-500 gph. Wattage vs Dwell time/Flow Rate is everything in UV. You must have enough flow to exchange the tank capacity at least 2-3 times per hour, and enough wattage to kill what you're after at that flow rate. Bacteria is easiest, Algae is harder, Parasites the hardest to kill. I nuke them all!!!

Check out Coralife's handy chart for their Turbotwist units to give yourself an idea where to start.
It's on page-10 of this manual...

One big advantage (for me) with a properly sized and setup UV, is it greatly helps deter the spread of parasites and other diseases, allowing me more time to identify, capture and treat a sick fish.

Cooldude7877

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a must have, that really depends on what type of tank inhabitants you are going to have. In my case I have multiple tangs in my tank and as we all know they are prone to ick. I have found that with the use of the UV sterilizer that while it does not completely eradicate the ICH issue, it does help lessen it. Also it gives me piece of mind as I do not have the space to have a separate QT tank.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua UV. It’s a mess but will take a pic

D165A442-698C-41CC-A15C-3CE3F1DEBC3D.jpeg
0C9225DE-582E-410A-92C1-1CD2367906D1.jpeg
35999558-F583-4248-AE38-6C07DA50D779.jpeg

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 100 watts (4x 25W aqua UV) of UV, daisy chained together, and I rarely had to clean the glass etc, and it just started getting dirty one day, and I discovered the pump failed. Replaced pump, clear again

I also run Ozone, which even my local shop says running both is overkill, but it works for me.

My tank (acrylic) often looks like the fish are floating in air
"Floating in air" is from the ozone, I just started to run it because of that, what do you keep your orp at? I am slowly inching up to avoid stressing any of my inhabitants

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the coralife, I have had multiple and in time they leak water into the light compartment. I currently have a large jabao to put back into my system.

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the coralife, I have had multiple and in time they leak water into the light compartment. I currently have a large jabao to put back into my system.

I just ordered the Coralife myself. I have a couple buddies using them that swears by them so going to give it a try. Hopefully it holds up better than yours did.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the Coralife myself. I have a couple buddies using them that swears by them so going to give it a try. Hopefully it holds up better than yours did.
I had 2 of them, think 13watt. The seal on the glass tube leaked on both of them. I posted my disgust on here and someone responded that its a common problem.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be hooked directly up to your return pump? I am getting ready to order and want to make sure I have everything I need. Thanks
If you have a manifold sure, and a high enough pump to allow losing that much flow to go through the UV. I have a manifold, but use it for lower flow reactors. Might change that when i upgrade return pumps.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 53 24.8%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 93 43.5%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 55 25.7%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 6.1%
Back