PAR levels, is it good for a mixed reef?

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, i am setting the new light for the tank. I upgraded from a 15g to a 35g.

Light are 2 nicrew hyperreef 50w and 1 noopsyche k7 mini 60w.

That's are the result took with the ITC par meter with return pump and wavemakers ON.

First photo is with 50% white 50% blue on the nicrew's and 20% white, 50% blue and 50% UV on the noopsyche.
Second photo 50% white 70% blue on the nicrew's and 20% white, 50% blue and 50% UV on the noopsyche.

What do you think? wich one i should choose? I want a mixed reef with a bit of everything. Tank is a mess as i got a dino's outbreak just after the switch, i'm on the end (i hope) of it.

lo.jpg

high.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What where the PAR levels your corals grew under? Those levels seem a bit high for a lot of corals, both soft and stoney. Depending on the species and the conditions it grew under a specimen may be fine with those levels or it may bleach out a bit. Keep in mind there's no such thing as "ideal" settings. Corals grow under a wide range of conditions and some invariably won't like conditions others thrive on.

Glowurm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, i am setting the new light for the tank. I upgraded from a 15g to a 35g.

Light are 2 nicrew hyperreef 50w and 1 noopsyche k7 mini 60w.

That's are the result took with the ITC par meter with return pump and wavemakers ON.

First photo is with 50% white 50% blue on the nicrew's and 20% white, 50% blue and 50% UV on the noopsyche.
Second photo 50% white 70% blue on the nicrew's and 20% white, 50% blue and 50% UV on the noopsyche.

What do you think? wich one i should choose? I want a mixed reef with a bit of everything. Tank is a mess as i got a dino's outbreak just after the switch, i'm on the end (i hope) of it.

lo.jpg

high.jpg
Feels like you could drop this down say 20/25% and still be good to go....

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What where the PAR levels your corals grew under? Those levels seem a bit high for a lot of corals, both soft and stoney. Depending on the species and the conditions it grew under a specimen may be fine with those levels or it may bleach out a bit. Keep in mind there's no such thing as "ideal" settings. Corals grow under a wide range of conditions and some invariably won't like conditions others thrive on.
no idea....
Although those levels look great for SPS, they're a bit high for a mixed reef. You can probably back down a bit and save yourself some electricity.
Thanks guy, i try to drop them a bit more.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems a little overkill to me. I use 1 nicrew 100w on a 32 gallon and I find it very adequate for the tank size.

Maybe try removing the noopsyche instead of reducing power on all three lights. That will leave you with an extra light.... :thinking-face: hmm, an extra light......

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems a little overkill to me. I use 1 nicrew 100w on a 32 gallon and I find it very adequate for the tank size.

Maybe try removing the noopsyche instead of reducing power on all three lights. That will leave you with an extra light.... :thinking-face: hmm, an extra light......
:D i was tinking of doing that. Isn't really a bad idea. I'll check the par with only 2

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although those levels look great for SPS, they're a bit high for a mixed reef. You can probably back down a bit and save yourself some electricity.
lowered a bit.. should be alright now for sps on top and lps/soft on bottom/sides?

436704540_457284250314889_8780048949798275300_n.jpg

Back