PBT help

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. In my experience I'll be losing this fish soon, so I'm trying to see if there's anything I can do to help. We've had a PBT before and it was one of the best fish we've ever had, but was far too aggressive for us.

We got this one 2 weeks ago. No, I didn't Qt as it was stressed from delayed delivery. Into the main display it went.

Tooks a few days, but it finally started eating and has been doing wonderful. No signs of sickness, no ick, no others being aggressive towards it.

I thought it was just freaking out at its reflection, but the erratic swimming has me worried. Nothing I ever do helps when stuff like this starts.

Parameters are fine, and no other fish are acting strange as at all. Any ideas?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey everyone. In my experience I'll be losing this fish soon, so I'm trying to see if there's anything I can do to help. We've had a PBT before and it was one of the best fish we've ever had, but was far too aggressive for us.

We got this one 2 weeks ago. No, I didn't Qt as it was stressed from delayed delivery. Into the main display it went.

Tooks a few days, but it finally started eating and has been doing wonderful. No signs of sickness, no ick, no others being aggressive towards it.

I thought it was just freaking out at its reflection, but the erratic swimming has me worried. Nothing I ever do helps when stuff like this starts.

Parameters are fine, and no other fish are acting strange as at all. Any ideas?

What I see is the majestic aiming towards it and its swim behavior is their typical stance when annoying or avoiding other fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - it seems REALLY nervous, and the majestic seems to be intimidating it. Lots of fish in the tank, lots of motion, it may just be overwhelmed with all that activity. It also seems to be breathing fast, but that may just be a function of it being so nervous.

One other possibility - when fish jut/dart forward like that, it can be a sign of flukes.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I see is the majestic aiming towards it and its swim behavior is their typical stance when annoying or avoiding other fish
The majestic has been afraid of it this entire time and hasn't been aggressive towards it at all which is weird. If anything, the pbt has started to be the boss of the angel.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ate one small piece of food, spit another piece out, and now back to the erratic behavior. This is so frustrating

Have you seen it flash or scratch on any tank surfaces? I'm still wondering if it might have flukes.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen it flash or scratch on any tank surfaces? I'm still wondering if it might have flukes.
No scratching. Just woke up this morning to it doing this erratic swimming and acting like it was fighting it's reflection.

It is just almost dive bombing every time it swims in the front very fast. Goes to the other end and goes back to doing this erratic dive bombing action and acting like it's trying to fight a fish..... With no other fish trying to even acknowledge it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
It ate one small piece of food, spit another piece out, and now back to the erratic behavior. This is so frustrating
What foods are you offering?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting cardboard across the front of the tank? See if it stops.

Fish looks ticked off.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
It's eaten everything I've given it except mysis:
Nori, brine, flakes, pellets, frozen algae
Its needs more than this. Consider:
LRS Herbivore diet
Plankton
Formula two frozen
spirulina brine shrimp.

PBT is an overall nasty fish and cardboard and mirror will only be temporary

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its needs more than this. Consider:
LRS Herbivore diet
Plankton
Formula two frozen
spirulina brine shrimp.

PBT is an overall nasty fish and cardboard and mirror will only be temporary
Yeah we learned how bad they can get with our first one. It destroyed a copperband. They're my wife's favorite fish though, and we aren't adding anything else after it, so we thought we'd try.

I did formula 2 as well, and my store was out of spurlina brine this time.

If we lose this one, I'm done with trying PBT as beautiful as they are.

We had an orange shoulder that did extremely well and acted nearly like a water dog. Would eat from our hands.

If we ever do another tang instead of a PBT, I thought about either a chocolate, or another orange shoulder.

Hoping this one is just having an off day or something though. It's a gorgeous fish and looks overall very healthy.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back