pH dropped to below 7

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been suffering from low pH for a while now...it kind of started out of nowhere a while back where the pH dropped off a cliff one day from 8.1-8.2 daily to just around 7.5-7.8 seemingly overnight. I didnt do anything different either.

Ive tried to open my windows as much as possible but with 35c and 70%+ humidity in peak summer its unbearably hot at home and my chiller is having a hard time keeping up. Ive added a fan to help with evaporative cooling and hoping it would help oxygenate the water and bring up the pH but it doesnt seem to help. The increased evap means i have to dose more kalk to my system which wrecked havoc on the alkalinity in the system and shot way up to 11dkh+. Dosing pH buffer was just as bad as its only a momentary fix and it jacks up my alkalinity. The pH have been on a downhill slope since that initial drop and its gotten as low as 6.9 at nights. Ive added a CO2 scrubber and that only brought it up to 7.89 at its highest before exhausting its usefulness in less than a week. I could keep changing out the media but its not that sustainable in the long run.

Ive read about keeping a fuge which would help convert the CO2 to O2 in hopes it would help raise the pH, but thats a big hope considering it need to raise it to 1 full point to where it is now Its something I should add to my tank but it takes time in designing and building for my setup. What else can I do to help raise the pH as much as possible?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been suffering from low pH for a while now...it kind of started out of nowhere a while back where the pH dropped off a cliff one day from 8.1-8.2 daily to just around 7.5-7.8 seemingly overnight. I didnt do anything different either.

Ive tried to open my windows as much as possible but with 35c and 70%+ humidity in peak summer its unbearably hot at home and my chiller is having a hard time keeping up. Ive added a fan to help with evaporative cooling and hoping it would help oxygenate the water and bring up the pH but it doesnt seem to help. The increased evap means i have to dose more kalk to my system which wrecked havoc on the alkalinity in the system and shot way up to 11dkh+. Dosing pH buffer was just as bad as its only a momentary fix and it jacks up my alkalinity. The pH have been on a downhill slope since that initial drop and its gotten as low as 6.9 at nights. Ive added a CO2 scrubber and that only brought it up to 7.89 at its highest before exhausting its usefulness in less than a week. I could keep changing out the media but its not that sustainable in the long run.

Ive read about keeping a fuge which would help convert the CO2 to O2 in hopes it would help raise the pH, but thats a big hope considering it need to raise it to 1 full point to where it is now Its something I should add to my tank but it takes time in designing and building for my setup. What else can I do to help raise the pH as much as possible?
You sure the pH probe is good?

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure the pH probe is good?
Thats another thing Im checking. Ive cleaned and calibrated a few times and the numbers didnt change much. Ive checked my kalk solution and it reads over 12pH, Tap water is slightly lower than 7. I have another prob and more calibration solution coming to ensure the probe I have is good.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a measurement error.

I'd clean the probe if you haven't already.

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would consider the Hanna pH checker. It’s a good sanity check piece of equipment to have when pH goes outside the typical range and you’re using a pH probe. I don’t trust pH probes at all.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU HAVE ZOANTHIDS IN YOUR AQUARIUM? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, I love Zoas!

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I like them, but I don't have them in my aquarium.

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • No, they're overrated.

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 7 5.5%
Back