pH opinions

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Working on optimizing my pH. It normally peaks at 7.8. I have FIVE kids and a couple dogs in my house all day.

Beginning 6/8, I ran a 3/8" tube from my skimmer air intake out a window as a test. Below are the results. I get about 0.1 pH increase with outside air. Surprised this was not more impactful, but I guess the air intake is small compared to the gas exchange of 72x24" of circulating open water at surface of tank with fans going.

So is it worth adding a recirculating CO2 scrubber to my skimmer air intake with outside air? Or will this have the same marginal effect as running the air intake outdoors? :thinking-face: Would like to have a 0.3+ increase to justify the cost/effort.

1718117664293.png

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 scrubber will help a lot. The media is kind of expensive ,but the recirculating one should help. I have heard that they can actually make your ph to high if they are used all the time. From the things I've read its best to have it on a valve to control the ph better.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 scrubber will help a lot. The media is kind of expensive ,but the recirculating one should help. I have heard that they can actually make your ph to high if they are used all the time. From the things I've read its best to have it on a valve to control the ph better.

It is unusual for pH to get too high, depending on the pH before adding it, but if it happens, it us easy enough to not suck all skimmer air through it.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I solved my pH which hovered around 7.5 to 7.7 and finally got it to 8.1 naturally. Ran the Fuge 24/7 with pom pom and unwanted GHA. Considering my co2 issues running a skimmer and scrubber would likely be ultra expensive and another item needing servicing. Next iteration focused on preventing GHA or just maximizing it's use. No sense fighting nature. That's one mother you not likely going to beat.

DIY FUGE-ATS.jpg

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unusual for pH to get too high, depending on the pH before adding it, but if it happens, it us easy enough to not suck all skimmer air through it.
I'm not sure how big of an issue this really is as I don't use this personally. I know BRS has a video talking about the issue that may be helpful. I'm not sure what others consider to high. My refugium keeps mine 8.25-8.4 but it can go as high as 8.5. I'm not concerned about it as long as it's over 8.2 and stable. 8.2 is my opinion of low. I know it's not in reality but it is in my goal to replicate the ocean. What's your opinion on to high.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how big of an issue this really is as I don't use this personally. I know BRS has a video talking about the issue that may be helpful. I'm not sure what others consider to high. My refugium keeps mine 8.25-8.4 but it can go as high as 8.5. I'm not concerned about it as long as it's over 8.2 and stable. 8.2 is my opinion of low. I know it's not in reality but it is in my goal to replicate the ocean. What's your opinion on to high.
Controller can be set to turn Fuge light off when pH rises above required set point. What I'm going to be doing. Problem solved.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The main problem at pH higher than about 8.55 is that precipitation of calcium carbonate goes faster and faster.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photosynthesis has had the most impact on sustainable ph boost I've noticed. Upping the light period on my mar has kept it up at night. Imo though, idk how we can discuss ph without knowing the alkalinity. If alk is low isn't it harder to get higher ph?

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • My coral

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%

Back