PH probes

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve notice that ph probes seem to last a long time for me, I’m talking years. My assumption is if you leave a ph probe where the ph barely changes the probe stays very close to what its supposed to be and doesn’t stray much at all. I feel if you calibrate the probe it leads to more erroneous readings. If my probes strays I notice it’s normally from bacteria or stuff growing on the probe and I generally just clean of the probe real quick and throw it back in and the readings tend to stay the same. I definitely know if you use a ph probe to monitor your tank water and then you throw it in you kalkwasser vat to measure your ph it definitely causes drift. But it seems like leaving a probe in an area where ph doesn’t change much will make the probe last waaaaaay longer. Is this just anecdote or is there actually some facts that go along with I’m seeing?

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 40 years I've been using pH probes in reef tanks I've found that a good probe can last 5 years or more. The key is cleaning it and of course not letting it dry out.

Keeping it within a normal pH range for your reef or using outside that range shouldn't have any negative affect on it. So yes, urban lore based on conjecture.

When you calibrate it you're taking it to pH 10 and then down to pH 7 or between 7 and 4 for a freshwater tank doesn't cause the probe to then swing when you put it back in your tank. So there's no logic to that.

In the lab where I work we use Cole-Parmer probes. Here's their recommendations for cleaning a probe.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some probes, especially including the best ones, can last a very long time. I usually broke mine physically before they had another issue.

I think the idea they last longer if not calibrated is not likely to be generally true.

The things that are problems are the slow loss or contamination of the internal fluid, and physical damage to some of the delicate parts.

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some probes, especially including the best ones, can last a very long time. I usually broke mine physically before they had another issue.

I think the idea they last longer if not calibrated is not likely to be generally true.

The things that are problems are the slow loss or contamination of the internal fluid, and physical damage to some of the delicate parts.
Hey Randy which PH probe you use

Pod_01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last month I replaced my 6 year old GHL pH probe. Main reason was my conductivity probe died so I replaced both.
The new pH probe works or shows the same trend as the old probe. Based on sample of one they appear to last a long time LOL. This is purely non scientific.

I do clean the probe frequently and only the measuring tip is submerged.
I also keep all the probes in the same chamber I dose my Alk and calc so not sure if that is good or bad…

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy which PH probe you use

I generally used some I got when my old company was getting rid of some.

The very best, IMO, are called Ross pH probes. It’s a design style not a brand. Very expensive and likely overkill for reefing.

don’t gag when you see the price. lol

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I think a little to much. You have any recommendations on other ph proves that maybe you have used in the past thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I think a little to much. You have any recommendations on other ph proves that maybe you have used in the past thanks

I have not bought one in a very long time, but I’d look for a sealed probe with a plastic body.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pinpoint Marine Probes last a really long time. About once a month, I clean them with a soft Toothbrush, while submerged. I Pump outside air into my Skimmers, a couple of times, I forgot to hook the Airline back up, and my pH has dropped. They agree with the test kits. I’ve had a few times they are slightly off. I adjust them while they are in the sump. Drew arrows at the calibration screws, so I know which way to turn them. BTW, it’s just a time touch with the Jewelry’s Screw Driver.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pinpoint Marine Probes last a really long time....
There's a new line of controllers that's becoming popular. You may have heard of the Hyrdros controllers :)

They ship with a Pinpoint pH probe.

I've used Pinpoint pH probes for years and they've been accurate/consistent and affordable.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • No.

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 6.3%
Back