PhosBan questions

Thanatos05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that the measurement of Phospahtes is really not accurate unless you are using a photometer such as a Hanna Meter. If this is the case, should I be replacing my phosban media on a scheduled basis (e.g. every 2 months)? Is phosban rechargeable? finally, is there a proper way of disposing of it?

Thanks

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes change it out. I think most change out every month. You can buy a much cheaper brand ans save money ans its the same thing IMO. Most of us that us it get it from BulkReefSupply and its a no name. They get it in bulk and break it down and package it in smaller amounts

BTW Welcome to R2R!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granular Ferric Oxide, unlike the aluminum based versions of phosphate removal media, does not leach contaminants back into the water once it is exhausted, it just quits working. The replacement schedule is dependent on your system and load, everyones tank is different. I use Salifert test kits to monitor my phosphates and feel confident in them.
GFO cannot be recharged but is safe to landfill so just toss it out in the trash. Bulk purchases are the way to go if you use much. I am fortunate enough to work in the drinking water industry and GFO was first used there years ago for arsenic removal so I have plenty of sources myself.

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Make sure you start with a small amount when you first introduce it to your system. If phosphates are removed too quickly, corals can bleach.

OP
OP
T

Thanatos05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great information. I am overdue for replacement as far as I am concerned. This time I will be getting bulk instead of going with the expensive PhosBan 1200g type that I originally purchased (approx $100 bucks with shipping.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back