Phytoplankton=Nutrients?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally dont see the need to dose phyto, tank is doing great without and I like to keep it minimalistic. My tank is also designed to be self-running so I can go on holiday or away for a weekend. if I were to add more manual dosing stuff that would change
What was your goal in trying the one strain? Just a heads up I dont auto dose. I just mix the phyto in with the fish food which in turns has me dose almost every day. I go on trips and vacations for 2-4 days sometimes though and the tank is fine. Ive forgotten to add any for like a week and didnt notice any changes other than my nutrients went up a bit.

Live Phytoplankton is usually best if dosed in a automated way. Keeps consistency imo
I will agree though it is hard to get an exact balance doing it my way. I also lean towards the dynamic potency of the bottle makes it near impossible to stay consistent. Plus other factors like how long has it been in my fridge, when was the last time I shook it up, how is the tank doing currently, etc.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Phytoplankton is usually best if dosed in a automated way. Keeps consistency imo
cant have the bubbling, tank is in the living room. have a whole design for a self sufficient phyto dosing/supplementing setup but the bubbler makes too much noise and the chance of contamination of the culture is a bit high

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your goal in trying the one strain? Just a heads up I dont auto dose. I just mix the phyto in with the fish food which in turns has me dose almost every day. I go on trips and vacations for 2-4 days sometimes though and the tank is fine. Ive forgotten to add any for like a week and didnt notice any changes other than my nutrients went up a bit.
i tried multiple strains, didnt see any difference apart from the rhodomonas one. my fish are being fed automatically as well, I just do frozen food mix with reefroids like every week or every 2 weeks

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried multiple strains, didnt see any difference apart from the rhodomonas one. my fish are being fed automatically as well, I just do frozen food mix with reefroids like every week or every 2 weeks
Again - what was your goal? If your nutrients are in check, and everything is well fed and happy you are correct you probably dont have much need for Live Phyto. I am sure something could benefit from it though. For example at the very least I know when I let my mysis shrimp soak in the live phyto, it creates a nutrient rich food for the fish and corals they would not be getting with just mysis alone. Still the most important factor for me live phyto does it drop my nutrients. I run no filtration so this is helpful.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again - what was your goal? If your nutrients are in check, and everything is well fed and happy you are correct you probably dont have much need for Live Phyto. I am sure something could benefit from it though. For example at the very least I know when I let my mysis shrimp soak in the live phyto, it creates a nutrient rich food for the fish and corals they would not be getting with just mysis alone. Still the most important factor for me live phyto does it drop my nutrients. I run no filtration so this is helpful.
well if youre getting at that just dosing it for nutrients then no. I just got convinced to try it and my university was otherwise going to throw it away

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree though it is hard to get an exact balance doing it my way. I also lean towards the dynamic potency of the bottle makes it near impossible to stay consistent. Plus other factors like how long has it been in my fridge, when was the last time I shook it up, how is the tank doing currently, etc.

cant have the bubbling, tank is in the living room. have a whole design for a self sufficient phyto dosing/supplementing setup but the bubbler makes too much noise and the chance of contamination of the culture is a bit high

This is how I used to automate, the noise wasn’t noticeable in the sump. the first one was on for over two years in a row without contamination problems. Only stoped it as I had to move the tank to a different house.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is how I used to automate, the noise wasn’t noticeable in the sump. the first one was on for over two years in a row without contamination problems. Only stoped it as I had to move the tank to a different house.
thx for the idea but for me the phyto ship has sailed. tank is stable now so I don't want to mess with it a lot more. and like I said my tank doesn't seem to benefit from the tank anyway. also where am I going to find the power outlets :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

the design I had only used one dosing head though if I wanted fertilizer maybe 2

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 10.5%
Back