Pipe slime

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but...
Whenever I turn my return pump off for maintenance or feeding and turn it back on I get large amount of what appears to be some sort of slime or maybe bacteria. It's whitish in color and slime looking. Any idea what this may be or causing it? My water is crystal clear otherwise and all tank parameters are in very good range as of a week ago. I will check them again tonight and update the post. IM 75G tank has been up and running for 9 or 10 months. Low bio load on the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but...
Whenever I turn my return pump off for maintenance or feeding and turn it back on I get large amount of what appears to be some sort of slime or maybe bacteria. It's whitish in color and slime looking. Any idea what this may be or causing it? My water is crystal clear otherwise and all tank parameters are in very good range as of a week ago. I will check them again tonight and update the post. IM 75G tank has been up and running for 9 or 10 months. Low bio load on the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bacteria most likely. When the flow start up is not a smooth increase, the shock wave knocks off the accumulated biofilm from the pipe wall. No big deal. Biofilm is everywhere, but the pipe surface offer a great place to grow thick biofilms. I never looked at these clumps closely. There could be other organisms helping to form thick layers. Sponges for example.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you dosing NoPox? That would increase your bacterial slime also......
I put a small bag of chemipure in my sump a few days ago. I had the slime before but not in the large amount that I encountered tonight. Could that contribute? I believe it has a phosphate remover in it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost sounds like your tank has a cold. :D

If you have adjustable flow pumps, maybe crank it up to knock some of the stuff loose before you shut the pump down next time? IF it is bacteria, the corals and the skimmer should be collecting it after it is knocked loose..

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria most likely. When the flow start up is not a smooth increase, the shock wave knocks off the accumulated biofilm from the pipe wall. No big deal. Biofilm is everywhere, but the pipe surface offer a great place to grow thick biofilms. I never looked at these clumps closely. There could be other organisms helping to form thick layers. Sponges for example.
I have a dc pump which does have a gradual ramp up on start. I've had the slime before but tonight was the most I've seen. I added a bag of chemipure the other day. Maybe that has something to do with the increase.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost sounds like your tank has a cold. :D

If you have adjustable flow pumps, maybe crank it up to knock some of the stuff loose before you shut the pump down next time? IF it is bacteria, the corals and the skimmer should be collecting it after it is knocked loose..
That's kinda what it looks like. A bunch of buggers sneezed out. Not as slimey as snot but chunkier. I'm sure my socks will get most of it and the skimmer may pick up the rest.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back