PJ Cardinal stopped eating

Krad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi R2R,

1 out of 3 of my PJ cardinals stopped eating for the past 2 days and it seems like he's having issues with his mouth? I got all 3 of them 3 weeks ago, the other 2 are eating fine as well as the rest of the tank inhabitance. Below is a video, seems the mouth is sealed tight compared to the other 2 and does some sort of a cough?:

My concern is one of my clownfish died yesterday as well. It stopped eating for about 3 days and I noticed yesterday it was struggling to swim and breathing very fast.

I know these signs are pretty bad so as a last ditch effort I did a 3 minute FW dip, did not see anything in the container after the dip, however unfortunately the clown died shorty afterwards.

Tank was stood up a month ago with rocks I've cycled in a brute for over a year:

temp 77
salinity 1.024
alk 8.5
nitrate 4-5ppm
po4 0.1
ammonia/nitrite 0

Other tank mates that are eating great and no symptoms/issues

clown
scissortail dartfish
orange shoulder tang
purple firefish

Inverts and 1 candy cane coral seem unaffected.

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi R2R,

1 out of 3 of my PJ cardinals stopped eating for the past 2 days and it seems like he's having issues with his mouth? I got all 3 of them 3 weeks ago, the other 2 are eating fine as well as the rest of the tank inhabitance. Below is a video, seems the mouth is sealed tight compared to the other 2 and does some sort of a cough?:

My concern is one of my clownfish died yesterday as well. It stopped eating for about 3 days and I noticed yesterday it was struggling to swim and breathing very fast.

I know these signs are pretty bad so as a last ditch effort I did a 3 minute FW dip, did not see anything in the container after the dip, however unfortunately the clown died shorty afterwards.

Tank was stood up a month ago with rocks I've cycled in a brute for over a year:

temp 77
salinity 1.024
alk 8.5
nitrate 4-5ppm
po4 0.1
ammonia/nitrite 0

Other tank mates that are eating great and no symptoms/issues

clown
scissortail dartfish
orange shoulder tang
purple firefish

Inverts and 1 candy cane coral seem unaffected.

Thanks!

I could be wrong but this fish appears to be carrying eggs in its mouth. I also see what I believe are dots around face (lighting is somewhat dark) which could be parasitical. Please post longer video under brighter white lighting.

OP
OP
K

Krad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I could be wrong but this fish appears to be carrying eggs in its mouth. I also see what I believe are dots around face (lighting is somewhat dark) which could be parasitical. Please post longer video under brighter white lighting.
I'm trying but now it's being stubborn...turned the tank white and everyone hid :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Would that make the fish more aggressive? Lately I noticed the bigger one chasing the smaller ones away.

Ill try to get a better video with a filter.

Another thing I see now is that it's chin is bulger then the other two. Funny things you start seeing when you really look.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'm trying but now it's being stubborn...turned the tank white and everyone hid :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Would that make the fish more aggressive? Lately I noticed the bigger one chasing the smaller ones away.

Ill try to get a better video with a filter.

Another thing I see now is that it's chin is bulger then the other two. Funny things you start seeing when you really look.
Bulgy may again be due to eggs- if eggs. White often startles fish but just suggested white for clearer pics and you can then resume normal light schedule

OP
OP
K

Krad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bulgy may again be due to eggs- if eggs. White often startles fish but just suggested white for clearer pics and you can then resume normal light schedule
Will do, got a few videos that have better clarity and have the other cardinals in the frame to compare.

Will upload a white light one when I can! Thanks for the help!

Feeding with tank mates:

Side profile view:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Will do, got a few videos that have better clarity and have the other cardinals in the frame to compare.

Will upload a white light one when I can! Thanks for the help!

Feeding with tank mates:

Side profile view:

The lighting still low but the mouth looks like one with a male carrying eggs.
Will get a second opinion - @Jay Hemdal

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAS ONE OF YOUR TANK INHABITANTS EVER COMMITTED THIEVERY? SHARE YOUR STORIES IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • No.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Maybe, but I don't have enough evidence to convict the suspected thief...

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Other (Please explain).

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back