Planning for a 125 gallon.

tyler6508

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the ASM G-3 protein skimmer good enough for a 125?

I'm building a canopy and still tryin to decide on lights.
I'm thinking about tryin (2kits) 250W HL MH Retrofit Kit (HQI) from Hellolights.com.

Suggestions on either please. So manyy options.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 120 and was running the 250 hqi (de) and switched over to moguls (se) and like them a lot better. moguls are alot easier to deal with (removing and replacing the hqi's can be a pain in the butt and you dont have to deal with the glass shield either). i also think i get better "halide shimmer" from the moguls and better light coverage.

since you are planning for such a nice size tank. personally this is one area you dont want to skimp to save money. if i had just spent the extra money for the better stuff in the beginning i would have save my self some headaches and some money.

i would say bite the bullet get nice reflectors, ballast and go with the moguls, that would be my advice.

personally i use pfo ballasts (although they are out of business i believe however you can still get their ballasts from some online retailers and prob for a good price) and really like them. my lfs uses galaxy ballast with se radiums and i love the look of their lighting.

im using the lumen max elite reflectors se and really like them. ive got really good tank coverage with them. but i know a lot of people who use the homemade reflectors and there is a template to make them floating around.

so yeah there are a lot of options. i dont personally have any experience with hello lights but maybe someone that does can chime in.
if you need anything else you can feel free to pm me.....

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get away with the G2. Before I bought a new skimmer I had the G1X on a 125 and it seemed to be enough

HAudioSolutions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 and use the g3. It's been a great skimmer for me. While I don't have a lot of experience with moguls, I have been using the HQI(s) and feel they do a great job. As far as shimmer.... mine look great again and if I lift my fixture higher off the water the shimmer is enhance which may be what ahayes is seeing with the switch since a bare bulb shouldn't be within splashing distance. JMO

droberts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 125rr with a 65g sump and my g2 works fine and it pulls a lot of junk from the water

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the G3 and loved it. If you do the mods on it (very easy to do) than it will work even better.

tekken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it's a 48 inch tank... 2 x 250W MH should be fine. Would definitely look at getting a single mogul socket one instead of a double-ended... much easier to work with and don't have to be as careful with bulb handling

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back